where's the log out ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where's the log out ?

I've recently built a simple site for a friend / client www.bibusuk.com. All working ok .. and he's about to link up to Actinic payments (so no doubt you'll see me posting about that fairly shortly too!) .. but I have a odd one. When a customer logs IN to the site, they click on the login button on the horizontal nav bar .. and they go through correctly to the log in page. This is fine .. and they can log in fine .. problem is .. there then is no Log Out .. either a text, or as a button.

I have the same site (pretty much) here http://www.partsandpumps.co.uk and the log in works the same, but with this one, when someone is logged in there is a clear 'log out' text, which is fed from the design>text>customer accounts list.

for the bibusuk.com one .. that text is not showing .. have I missed some tick box somewhere which tells the site to display a log out? .. I can't see what is different at the moment .. but there clearly is something not right.

HELP!

(no button .. be a nice touch if the log in button on the nav bar CHANGED to a log out .. anyone know how that would work please let me know - in simple, short techobabble free words that a random monkey like me might have a chance of following please!)

When they log in, do they not see a title bar showing their name, the logout link is usually on that. If you haven't got that, something has been deleted i suspect so look at a standard template to see how it is added and put that back in. It's 3 variables in blue itallic text from memory, been discussed before (with Donna Kempster) on the forum if that doesn't get you anywhere near.

Comment

Originally posted by davidfarndon View Post
      anyone know how that would work please let me know - in simple, short techobabble free words that a random monkey like me might have a chance of following please!)
      I'm very surprised to see this in a post from a Developer.

Keep it simple David, look at the original, factory set, login layout and surrounding code and then compare that to what you have now.

Army Gore-tex
      Winter Climbing Mitts
      webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
      Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

please don't be surprised if I ask if anyone has a simple-to-follow solution .. I'd had a hard day/night/day again .. and I really wasn't feeling much like a developer (not that I do most of the time anyway)!

I've looked at the site which has the log out text shown, and at this new one which seems to not have a trace of it. I can see the code which drops the log out (and the user name etc.,) into the one that works ok .. but the code for the one that has it missing has not a trace of the code... and looks remarkably dissimilar to the one that does .. so finding the spot to drop the code has proved a bit hit and (so far anyway) miss.

I tried to copy the code INTO the one without it and so far no success (apart from messing up the layout .. which I then reset by removing the code I'd implanted). All I need is a log out function .. I'd rather like a button to appear in the navigation in place of the log in button .. but maybe that's a bigger ask?

I shall continue my quest .. though I would still be very happy to receive any helpful suggestions.

Comment

Looks like a standard template pretty much, the "compare" facility in the design library would show any changes as that will compare what you have now with what it was originally, try that. Although if you've found the code and can see where it is, i'm not sure what is happening when you paste it back into your template, that's a little strange, is suspect you're not putting it in the right place or not transferring in its entirety. Perhaps your template did not have the login/logout facility added as standard, that could be possible i guess, although just adding it in should solve that, perhaps provide a screenshot of the two areas. It's definitely 3 itallic blue links from memory.

An alternative is to search the forum as that has specific instructions and the code required from memory. If you're tired and can't think, that's probably a better idea.

Comment

thanks Lee .. yes, it's not going into the right place for sure - and the code rather oddly looks quite a bit different from the one where it is working (so that's not helping much).

I had more sleep last night (nearly 4 hours! .. ahh what luxury!) so perhaps my slightly less muggy head will be able to figure it a bit better this morning.

zzzzzzzzzz looking forward to the end of August when I can have a week asleep on holiday.

Comment

in the site where the log out stuff is not showing, the nav bar takes this code :

Code:
              <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22Wiz%5fButtons%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22CSS%20Buttons%22">
              			<div>
              			<p class="text_menu" align="left"><actinic:variable value="Home CSS Button" name="NavigationIcon" if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22HomePageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20%270%27" /><actinic:variable value="Sitemap CSS Button" name="NavigationIcon" if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22IsIncludeToSiteMap%22%20%2f%3e" /><actinic:variable name="NavigationIcon" value="Contact Us CSS Button" /><actinic:variable name="NavigationIcon" value="Terms CSS Button" /><actinic:variable name="NavigationIcon" value="Search CSS Button" /><actinic:variable value="Store Top CSS Button" name="NavigationIcon" if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22IsNavBarTopSectionOmitted%22%20%2f%3e%20%21%3d%20TRUE" /><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22PageType%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20%22Section%22"><actinic:variable value="Up A Level CSS Button" name="NavigationIcon" if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevel%22%20%2f%3e%20%3e%200" /></actinic:block><actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22AreRegCustomersAllowed%22%20%2f%3e"><Actinic:NOTINB2B><actinic:variable name="NavigationIcon" value="Login CSS Button" /></Actinic:NOTINB2B></actinic:block></p>
              			</div>
              		</actinic:block>
              .. at this point,

Code:
              <Actinic:NOTINB2B><actinic:variable name="NavigationIcon" value="Login CSS Button" /></Actinic:NOTINB2B></actinic:block></p>
              			</div>
              		</actinic:block>
              would it be possible to put a condition so if the user WAS logged in, it changed to a LogOUT CSS button .. and how (and where) could/would I be able to create such a button?

or is this just plain nonsense?

Comment

Originally posted by davidfarndon View Post
                thanks Lee .. yes, it's not going into the right place for sure - and the code rather oddly looks quite a bit different from the one where it is working (so that's not helping much).
                Open up notepad, open up the site that works, copy paste the code into notepad, open up broken site, paste in, then they're using identical code.

What you want to do is possible, you need to learn the tags associated with the login process though. They still baffle me at times until i get started with them, you'd use them to show the logout link when logged in and the vice versa. Get the standard title bar working, that will show you most of it.

Comment

Disappearing login

Hi all,

I'm having the same problem as David. Once I login to my site the login text disappears and there is nothing to indicate you're logged in and no logout text anywhere.

Even you once you've bought something nothing appears to offer you the ability to logout and this is why I'm asking as we have customers being a bit concerned they can't logout.

As I'm not even a sleep deprived developer a simple step by step easy to follow solution would be very welcome.

Cheers...Paul

Comment

The follwoing will give you the most basic login and logout facility with the welcome message that is the account holder's name:
                    <a href="<actinic:variable name="LoginPageURL" />" ><actinic:variable name="LoginText" /></a><actinic:variable name="LogoutSimple" />
                    <Actinic:WELCOME/>

Comment

Hi Duncan,

Many thanks for the reply - but it hasn't made any difference. You can see by going here: http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies....log/index.html and login with a user name: test and password: test

No logout text appears.

Cheers...Paul

Comment

Hi there,

Has anyone else got a way to make the logout facility work please?

Cheers...Paul

Comment

I use:

Code:
                          <div align="center"><Actinic:NOWSERVING/><Actinic:CURRACCOUNT/><Actinic:LOGOUT_SIMPLE/></div>

Comment

Hi Lee,

Many thanks for the reply. Can I just check the coding with you please as I'm not too good on that front. I have in place at the moment:

<a href="<actinic:variable name="LoginPageURL" />" target="_self"><actinic:variable name="LoginText" /></a>

Do I replace this with what you've posted or adapt it?

Cheers...Paul

Comment

Try just adding
                              <actinic:variable name="LogoutSimple" />
                              to the end of your code.

Comment

Working...
                              X