HTML5 layout within V10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HTML5 layout within V10

I am starting to code my pages in HTML5 these days and on Friday attempted my first Actinic site in HTML5. Much to my frustration, after getting my layouts working properly and tested cross browser and cross platform, when I registered the design in Actinic, it simply just breaks

Has anyone else tried this and had any successes or failures?

I also noticed that '@import url' in CSS doesn't seem to work, or maybe that's HTML5 and Actinic not playing nice as well?

For now, due to time restrictions I'm probably going to reverse engineer my layouts back to XHTML but don't see why this shouldn't work in the first place.
    Web . Design . Multimedia . Branding

HTML 5 and Actinic

If you're aiming to use HTML5 in an Actinic site you may well have problems, I'm sure the WYSIWYG preview won't support the new elements without some JavaScript hand holding, likewise internet explorer (even V8). Without this your CSS for the new HTML elements just won't work.
    Also Actinic may (this is just me guessing here) have problems in itself with HTML5's new elements being put into layouts.
    Personally I would not even attempt to convert an Actinic site to HTML5. I have no doubt it could be done, but I suspect a fair few problems along the way, and it's probably not worth the hassle at present.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not against using HTML5 now, I'm working on one of the company's websites to use HTML5/CSS3, and so far it's going well, but as I say I strongly suspect Actinic's internal handling of HTML and templates isn't ready for HTML5 yet (V11 maybe ??).
    Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

www.kitchenwareonline.com
    www.microwave-repair.co.uk

Comment

Hi Steve,

Thanks for coming back.

I have already converted my templates back into XHTML and and reimported back into Actinic. Surprise surprise, they are now working fine.

I know IE has issue with HTML5 anyway, the HTML shiv sorts that out just fine.

Actinic obviously just can't cope with it yet. I think V11 will will be wishful thinking for HTML5 support, but you never know.

Comment

Probably is wishful thinking...V13 maybe?
        Yes the HTML5 shiv works fine & the good news is IE9 will support HTML5, but the bad news is IE9 is only going to be available for Vista and Windows 7.
        I won't start on my views about that subject.
        Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

Comment

Lol! Yeah, more likely

Comment

@import

I haven't tried @import yet, I could see the that Actinic might well have issues, as it may upset some part of the workings. It could just be that "@" character causing parsing difficulties.
            I can see some experimenting coming up here...
            Steve Griggs.

Comment

Hi, does anyone know if Actinic have released any documentation on their support for HTML5?

Comment

I haven't tried it for a while, but I'm pretty sure Actinic haven't done any updates since I gave the HTML5 doctype a go, so I would guess and say no.

Comment

It's no as far as I can see, to be fair HTML5 is probably low on the agenda as the spec is still not fully finalised yet.
                  Steve Griggs.

Comment

The HTML5 spec is not due until 2014, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be using it.

I code all news sites in HTML5, except Actinic sites obviously.

Comment

I agree, I intend to use HTML5 and CSS3 whenever it's practical to do so, and where it won't "break the layout" now, just plan so that it degrades in a way that's not noticable on older browsers.
                      I haven't gone further than using the HTML5 Doctype in a revamped version of our site I'm working on now--I will try introducing the HTML5 JS "shiv" and some of the new elements at some point soon and see if it "breaks" Actinic.
                      I don't know if you know but the Actinic preview relys on Interent Explorer rendering so there may be issues there with HTML5, this is an area I want to look into.
                      Steve Griggs.

Comment

Working...
                      X