Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two different styles for Product Name

Hi all.

Firstly I know most are busy prior to Christmas so if anyone is kind enough to answer this, I am only expecting a yes or no answer at the moment. If it is a yes then i can ask how when you are a lot less busy.

I have a v8 site but i am about to buy v12 (2013). I have decided i am going to start again and build the site from the ground upwards. I am currently thinking about layouts. We sell plants that that have an english name and a latin name and both could be quite long.

For example: Curled Parsley, has a product name of Parsley Curled (Petroselinum crispum).
    It is essential that the latin name is included esp for SEO but when designing my section layouts, a long product name looks messy when having 3 columns for a section/product list.

Therefore, when playing with a section layout in photoshop, I thought it would be nice to have this Latin name in a smaller font (and in italics) underneath the English name. Here is a image to explain. http://www.norfolkherbs.co.uk/Online-Shop_Layout_2013

I don't have any programming knowledge, but do you think it is possible to write a script or statement which would allow the ProductName to have two different styles. As the latin name is in brackets, perhaps the script would suggest that ''all text within brackets is 10px, and in italics''

perhaps I am looking at this from the wrong angle but hopefully someone here has had a similar thought and has implemented it on their or their client's site.

If it isn't possible or would be very complicated (and expensive) to design then I will think of something else but i though i would ask.

Many Thanks
    www.norfolkherbs.co.uk
    Online Shop at: www.homescentherbs.co.uk

I would suggest using a Variable of your own making, say 'Latin Product Name' that is assigned at the product level only.

Then, in your layouts for the section view, then include it within its own span or div that has a class that provides the styling you require and that also adds the bracketing you desire, where you can enclose all of it within a condition on whether your variable is empty or not.

You could also reuse this on the product layout as well.

An idea.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

This would definitely work for aesthetic reasons but if customers wanted to search for a herb using it's Latin name (which some do), I would no doubt have to somehow allow the search feature to compile results defined by the Latin name but for it to also bring up it's English equivalent next to it. Likewise using the new filter system may prove quite interesting although that said, it could be a simple way searching all herbs by English Name and all herbs by Latin name by checking a box! Now this would be excellent.....

Its great when one thinks out of the box and other ideas come about afterwards.

Cheers,
      www.norfolkherbs.co.uk
      Online Shop at: www.homescentherbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
      X