Reducing Cumulative Layout Shifts (CLS) with Sellerdeck layouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reducing Cumulative Layout Shifts (CLS) with Sellerdeck layouts

Following on from my earlier thread on page load times https://community.sellerdeck.com/for...age-load-times there are a couple of quick fixes I've identified that should fix the main remaining Cumulative Layout Shifts that Google sees. You'll find them in the Core Web Vitals of your Google search console, particularly on mobile, and more details will be on the PageSpeed insights report if you follow the links from there.

As I understand it, CLS shifts are not currently penalised by Google but will be from sometime in 2021 so this isn't an academic discussion.

PS. 'Inspect' on Chrome now has a great 'performance' tab which will also detect and highlight CLS issues and what is moving and by how much. It's been very useful in identifying the problem areas.

The main culprits are:

1. Make sure you have a size defined in the HTML for all your images

2. The 'topcontact' buttons on mobile display the information first before being given a 'display:none' styling and then disappearing. Adding display:none as inline CSS stops this. Details are in the original thread linked to above.

The two remaining CLS issues I've managed to fix are:

3. The scroll bar.

At first paint the browser renders the page using all the information it has, then realises it needs to add a scroll bar on the right, so redoes all it's calculations and draws the page again. In Chrome on a 1920 x 1080 display this reduces the window size by 16px so anything that is right aligned in the full screen such as the mini cart box is shifted 16px leftwards. Anything centered, such as the main content div which is a large area also gets shifted by less than 16px.

The Solution to this is quite simple. Add this to your CSS file

html {
    overflow-y:scroll}

Which tells the browser to render the scroll bar at first paint.

Kudos to Tim Vereecke for the solution to this. https://twitter.com/timvereecke/stat...533248?lang=en

4. The Nav bar on mobile.

The standard responsive layout for mobile devices uses mega-menu to create a drop down section list. The problem is that this is initially drawn in place and then hidden afterwards leading to a large CLS shift in the main content,

The solution has taken me a while to figure out but is really very simple. All you have to do is add the 'menuHide' css class to the Mega Menu Layout. i.e. the top of the Mega Menu Layout will now say

Code:
    <div id="mega-menu" class="menuFlex menuHide">
    Sellerdeck uses the css classes of menuHide and menuShow to set the dropdown to hide / show respectively. This just presets the drop down to not show as otherwise the HTML will default to be displayed as normal.

On mobile devices this sets the drop down css to display:none right from the very beginning thereby avoiding the CLS problem. It's also safe to do as menuHide is only defined in the CSS for mobile (i.e. small screen) devices.

Having made these changes my CLS figures are now down to a level where I think Google will be happy with them.

Mike

-----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Thanks for sharing this Mike.
    Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
    SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
    Based in rural Northants

Comment

Hi Mike,

CLS is a big issue for me. So your post is really interesting.

You said...
      Make sure you have a size defined in the HTML for all your images

The issue is SellerDeck is built to resize images based on viewport size so how will fixing image sizes work with that? or is it only indicative for search engines?

Thanks,

Phil
      Phil Howell
      Director
      Intuition Un Ltd
      www.turmerlicious.com A range of delicious Turmeric Latte's #veryaddictive

Also
      Awarding winning publishers of Natal Hypnotherapy™, the UK's leading provider of hypnosis for conception, pregnancy and child birth having helped over 100,000 women through antenatal courses and self hypnosis CDs
      www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk Hypnobirthing in English
      www.natalhypnotherapy.fr Hypnobirthing in french
      www.hypnobirthingclass.online Online antenatal training

Comment

Hi Phil,

The honest answer is that I'd need to go back and look at this but won't have time for a few weeks. I have to file my accounts and pay my company tax by the end of the month.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Working...
        X