Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need to upgrade my PayPal account...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need to upgrade my PayPal account...?

In order to start using PayPal running in the background of my website do I need to upgrade my PayPal account at all?

I have read the notes of PayPal at the top of this message board so I am in the process of amending my website. I was just wondering if I need to do anything with my PayPal account at all?
    Cheers
    Stuart

You don't have to Stuart, BUT, you are usually highly recommended to do so as you can attract cheaper charges. It's nothing complicated, just adjusting the type of account you have, which is done in 5 minutes. Much depends on the number of transactions you put through, the more the cheaper.

You also always want to have (IMO) an email address at your domain name, not some non-descript hotmail or yahoo email address - looks more professional.

Comment

You will just need a standard payment type merchant account - ie one that allows you to recieve funds via credit cards or paypal accounts.
      https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/we...erview-outside

Comment

Paypal as a payment option?

Hi all

Can I pick your brains and opinions please:

We curently accept all the major credit cards but should we also have paypal as a payment option - we have an account as we sell some of our bunting on ebay. It is not something I, as a member of the public, have and therefore I wouldn't consider it as a payment option but reading of the credit card security threads recently I wondered if we are 'missing' sales but not offering this method of payment.

Many thanks

Donna
        Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

Comment

I think Paypal is always a good fallback payment option. I have a Paypal account and prefer to use it on sites that I'm a little 'unsure' about or if I know I have funds in my account. It's a well known name (even if associated with ebay).

Comment

Personally I would offer it Donna. If the option is there then I don't see why not. Many people have PayPal accounts and trust this method of paying for items or receiving payments online. It gives you a little more credibility if you ask me.
            Cheers
            Stuart

Comment

Most definitely Donna, if it is provided as an additional payment type, there is no harm whatsoever. I think PROTX + Paypal or HSBC + Paypal is the best combo by far.

I often pay via Paypal, especially if i have some money sitting in there, i think bumpsy has said the same too, there are bound to be 1000's more. Paypal is the biggest payment taker bar none, it's almost as wider household name as Mastercard or Visa - that familiarity for consumers is priceless.

I think the lesson on providing payment methods is to offer as many as is sensible and let the consumer decide, that is the best formula IMO. JUST make sure Paypal is not the first option in your dropdown box of options. It's a great backup for days like yesterday on PROTX.

Comment

Originally posted by Donna Kempster
                H I wondered if we are 'missing' sales but not offering this method of payment.
                I would say a definite YES
                I, for one, always choose to pay by paypal (funds permitting, of course ) in preference to using a card, simply because I don't need to hunt my cards down first and I will often use the ability to accept Paypal as my deciding factor on where to buy from (in fact, if Amazon took paypal, they'd have had an order from me last night..but as they didn't, I shopped elsewhere!)

When I added Paypal I noticed an increase in sales..and now a growing %age of my orders are Paypal paid.
                It costs nothing to add it and can only be a benefit, IMO
                Tracey

Comment

Thanks for advice everyone. I shall look into adding it as an option after hols. thanks D
                  Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

Comment

why not just make your "pay by card" option clearer?
                    I would never want Paypal as my last option (Nochex has that honour LOL)..I get upto 50% of my orders paid by Paypal and I'm sure they're not doing it by accident!
                    Paypal is, IMO, THE backup.

suppose it depends on your audience too though.
                    Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity
                      We leave paypal to last (there are only two!)
                      so it's second in your list then?

it wasn't a criticism, Edward, I just wouldn't have imagined that anyone would assume that "Paypal" meant "pay by card" when your card payment option is so obvious

I certainly wouldn't put it last in ANY list! (unless it was a list of 2, of course )
                      Tracey

Comment

Working...
                      X