Protx and Multiple Sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protx and Multiple Sites

I want to put a second site on the same PC. I have two Protx accounts - one for each site.

I have read the Protx instructions sticky, but have a query as to exactly what this means:

For users with/ managing Multiple Sites:
    When changing from 'Test' to 'Production' mode on PROTX you need to make the required changes on the 'OCCPROTXScriptTemplate.pl' file that resides within the {site}/CommonOCC folder. You will however have to redo the {site}/CommonOCC on incrementing the version number of the 'OCCUpgrade.ini' file for reasons mentioned above. Especially if each site has a different account.
    What exactly does 'redo' mean in this context, and is it after or before I increment the version.

Any help with clarifying this would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Jane
    Jane Thurnell-Read
    200 Plus Weight Loss Tips

500 Plus Health And Happiness Tips

Hi Jane,

The Protx instructions are not very clear. Basically, if you have one site that uses Protx then they ask you to make a change to the 'C:\Program Files\Actinic v8\OCCUpgrade\CommonOCC\OCCPROTXScriptTemplate.pl' to change the 'encryption key'. Then you open the 'OCCUpgrade.ini' file and increment the version number by 1. When you open the software Actinic detects that the ini file has changed and copies the files from 'C:\Program Files\Actinic v8\OCCUpgrade\CommonOCC\' to the 'Sites\Site1\CommonOCC' folder and therefore, the updated script with the new encryption key is copied across.

When you have multiple sites using Protx, you don't really want both sites to have the perl file with the same encryption key in them as they should be different for each site so in my opinion you should just leave the original script file and the ini file alone and then change the script manually in each site with the correct encryption key. You just have to be aware that if you are ever asked to 'purge and refresh' your site or you upgrade the software you will have to apply the encryption key to the relevant scripts again as it will be overwritten with the original one (it's possibly best to keep a copy of each amended script somewhere so that you can just copy them back in when necessary (aptly named of course so you know which site they are for)).

So I'm not sure if 'redo' means put the scripts and ini file back to how they were or enter your new encryption key in the script and increment the ini file (which I wouldn't have thought would be sensible as it could potentially overwrite the script in the other site).
    Tracey
    SellerDeck

Comment

thanks for this Tracey

In fact yesterday I spoke to Support and they basically said the same thing - change the encryption password in the site specific files, don't do the incrementing.

I did this and it worked.

I had meant to post the solution last night for anyone else who was scratching their heads, but I just didn't get round to it, so sorry to have wasted some of your time.

It does seem to me that bit of the instructions could be much more clearly expressed.

And thanks for the warning about future overwriting.

Jane
      Jane Thurnell-Read
      200 Plus Weight Loss Tips

500 Plus Health And Happiness Tips

Comment

Working...
      X