Alternative or Restricted Payment methods for Digital Downloads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative or Restricted Payment methods for Digital Downloads

I am considering adding Digital Downloads to my site, but am not sure how to handle the payment side.

Currently we have a merchant account and our own secure server, and capture payment details for off-line processing when the order itself is processed. This works very well our situation, and I don't want to change this arrangement for sales of our 'regular' products.

If we start selling DDs though, we will need some kind of on-line authorisation system to ensure that the DDs have been paid for before they are downloaded. Even if we were to take on the extra cost of signing up for a PSP in addition to our existing merchant account, I am unclear on how the website could be arranged to send DD orders to the PSP, but continue to send payment info for non-DD orders to us in the usual way.

A simpler (but less satisfactory) solution might be to only accept Pay Pal payments for DD orders, but again I don't know how to make Pay Pal the only payment option for DDs.

This must be a fairly common situation, so I would be grateful for any advice.

Another solutions to the problem would be to sell vouchers or 'credits', or even some kind of membership that could be used to access the DDs, but again I cannot figure out a satisfactory way of doing it without paying the excessive cost of upgrading to Business, and even then it is a bit of a fiddle.

Jeremy
    www.magazineexchange.co.uk

Hi,

This thread will show you how to restrict payment methods for digital download orders, however, I'm afraid that the 'Paypal' method will also be available to customers who don't order digital download files too.
    Tracey
    SellerDeck

Comment

Thanks Tracey; If I can get that to work it will do the job fine - and Pay Pal being available for none DD orders isn't a problem as it is already an option we offer. I'm not sure how much business we will lose by 'only' offering Pay Pal for DD orders, but I'm happy to trial DDs on that basis and see where it takes us

It does occur to me that if Pay Pal is the only option, and the item doesn't required physical delivery, a super-quick, radically cut-down checkout process could be designed which would certainly increase sales - but that's probably a discussion for another day

Many thanks

Jeremy
      www.magazineexchange.co.uk

Comment

Working...
      X