My first PayPal Pro integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first PayPal Pro integration

This is my first PPP integration and I think I'm stuck. Please be gentle with me.

I've read through the integration guide in the knowledge base - I've not gone into the 'callback' step yet because a) It's not clear what this is for, and b) I don't have the details for my client's PayPal account. I've also gone through the steps here http://www.actinic.co.uk/psp/paypal/, but I'm none the wiser.

I'm building a site for a client who has signed up for Pay Pal Website Payments Pro, and he's provided the four pieces of information: Vendor, Merchant, User and Password as requested in the Business Settings.

I've uploaded the site, but the checkout process hangs - either when clicking the 'checkout with PayPal' button, or when clicking 'next' after checkout page 2 (the one with the card number) - and eventually generates a 500 Internal Server Error.

Can somebody just point me in the right direction, because without a specific error message I can't tell whether I'm doing something wrong, and if so, what.

I'm using a test card number from and internet search that I've used in testing before - 5555555555554444 (mastercard) - but if this is the problem, can anybody advise how to test it?

Apologies again if it's another RTFM query, but I can't find the right M to F'ing R...
    Last edited by IanSaunders; 04-Aug-2009, 10:04 AM. Reason: additional info

ok, slightly different angle -

What would I expect to happen if the details in the Payment Service Provider Configuration were wrong? Is this a typical symptom?

Comment

Your best bet is to get in touch with Actinic support.

Paypal Pro isn't widely used by many people because it won't be a PCI-DSS compliant unless you do a lot of compliance work and independent testing. The main problem is that the customer enters their card details on your web server so this has to be PCI-DSS compliant (unlike virtually every other PSP solution).

Personally, I would explain this to the client and get them to use an alternative solution. Actinic Payments would be a good option as they have better integration with the software.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I echo Mike's advice

I've not gone into the 'callback' step yet because a) It's not clear what this is for, and b) I don't have the details for my client's PayPal account.
        TBH you wont get anywhere until you do the callback and use your clients paypal acct detail.

if you insist on continuing with PPP, go back to the beginning and do it all.

Comment

Thanks.

Where does it tell me what the callback does and how it works?

And what's the usual process regarding setting payment up? Would the client set the PSP account up (completing all the company and banking stuff) and then give me access to the account? it just seems rather awkward and insecure.

Comment

Whether client provides you with the settings or not is often just down to your relationship with them. Personally, i don't like to have this kind of information, however do on occasion when asked. All i ususally do is add the payment method and they then fill out the details accordingly their end (via the configure button). If you choose a mainstream PCI compliant PSP, then it really is a doddle and very quick to setup usually. With PPP you are unfortunately trying to hang an elephant off the side of a mountain by tying its tail to a daisy. Go Actinic Payments instead, much much better.

Comment

Originally posted by IanSaunders View Post
              Thanks.

Where does it tell me what the callback does and how it works?
              a simple www search on psp callback will tell you what callback does
              Originally posted by IanSaunders View Post
              And what's the usual process regarding setting payment up? Would the client set the PSP account up (completing all the company and banking stuff) and then give me access to the account? it just seems rather awkward and insecure.
              probably better for you/your client to call paypal to run through these questons, but whilst you are at it call other psps too.

Comment

Thanks for your inputs, guys.

On the offchance anyone else encounters this issue or something similar, it was a firewall rule that blocked outbound traffic from the webserver. A support ticket to my host fixed it.

I've still got more issues, but I've not started to investigate them yet

Comment

Working...
                X