3D Secure drop outs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D Secure drop outs

Have any users of AP quantified how many people drop out of the purchase when confronted with the 3D Secure checkout pages?

Can 3D Secure be switched off in AP?

Can anyone (CB perhaps?) provide a date when 3D Secure will become mandatory for all cardholders?

Thanks
    Kind Regards
    Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

i get a small % of drop outs with AP but i would not say its anymore than Paypal and less than Protx used to be. To give an example, i have 4 failed PSP orders this month 2 are AP 2 are Paypal, i dont doubt some of these have probably paid i have processed the order, they just re-did it.

I have 3d secure turned on for all cards so i would say it makes little difference now

Comment

Thanks Darren, useful info.

Sean, I'm afraid that I don't have precise facts here. 3D Secure was supposed to be compulsory for Maestro years ago, but Mastercard only seems to be really serious about it now. When we did some previous research, it seemed that the majority of Maestro card holders knew about 3D Secure. That was nearly a year ago, so I imagine the proportion would be even higher now.

I've heard reports of lost business due to 3D Secure being implemented (but not with Maestro), and increasingly people like Darren above are reporting no negative impact.

The feeling that I get is that the pendulum is slowly moving, and eventually you will get more orders with 3DS on, as buyers will start becoming suspicious of sites that don't use it.

In terms of the banks making it compulsory, they couldn't until recently as some of the major players didn't comply. I imagine they will in the future, but whether that's 6 months or 3 years out I couldn't really be sure.

At the moment, the big focus seems to be on PCI DSS.

Sorry to be vague.

Chris

Comment

OK controversial view, but what the heck - really just for the purpose of conversation:
        • 3D Secure is a shambles, which suggests to me partly that the card companies/banks really don't "own it" and now wish it didn't exist.
        • Maestro is the only card where merchants have to use 3D, some have now stopped accepting Maestro in order to avoid this, particularly where their PSP insists that, if 3D is enabled on Maestro, it must be enabled for MC and Visa as well. Better to risk losing a few sales through Maestro than a 3D disaster with the two main credit cards. Why is Maestro the only card where the card company insists on 3D being used?
        • UK issuing banks are dropping Maestro like a hot brick.
        • Paypal have reluctantly implemented 3D secure but Google (checkout) have declined to.
        • Many people (I would say the majority) say that 3D affects conversion rates, and with my shopper's hat on I detest it, and that's even when it works.
        • Rumours are it will be replaced with something else before long.

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Frustratingly yesterday i was trying to add credit to my 3 dongle. Each time i used my natwest cards 3D failed. Only when i switched to a different CC was my transaction sucessful.

In this case i was a captive audience i had to get the transaction though as 3 wasthe only provider and i wanted to use the dongle - had it been any other transaction i might have given up.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
            Frustratingly yesterday i was trying to add credit to my 3 dongle. Each time i used my natwest cards 3D failed. Only when i switched to a different CC was my transaction sucessful
            might be wise to check that your nat west transaction wasn't processed anyway!
            Given some of the stories we've heard about this, it appears to be quite common that payments are processed despite 3d failure (and no notification to the buyer!)
            Tracey

Comment

i find this interesting, it shows how people see things, i dont have issues with 3d secure, never had problems.

But then i have never been a great lover of paypal, but some think its great perhaps alot of the way things like this are seen is because of our own personal feelings towards them.

I dont doubt something new will come along but i guess we will have to wait and see

have a good weekend all, im off to taste some hops

Comment

Thanks CB and all for the replies.
                It seems my concerns are justified - there's no consensus!
                I must say whenever I'm purchasing online and come across 3D Secure I always wonder if it's going to work or not as it seems so clunky, so I can understand people being put off.

Although we're in the process of upgrading to V9.04 and AP, we still use Securehosting and decided not to implement 3D Secure on anything as it seemed risky in terms of completed transactions to ask customers to do something of which they are suspicious.

BTW - still no answer - can 3D Secure be turned off in AP, or is it mandatory?
                Kind Regards
                Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

I seem to remember finding a page somewhere that gave me the option to turn 3D Secure on and off but can't remember where and can't find it again (I could have just been imagining it though).

I know for definite you can control the acceptance of CV2, address and post code checks for the AP terminal.
                  Darren Guppy
                  Golf Tee Warehouse
                  Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Williams View Post

BTW - still no answer - can 3D Secure be turned off in AP, or is it mandatory?
                    YES you have the option to turn it off, not sure how this will work as i always have mine on

Comment

Thanks for the clarifications
                      Kind Regards
                      Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Just to give you some idea of the impact I checked my payments for last month.

~ 4% of transactions were rejected due to "3D verification timeout"
                        ~ 2% of transaction were rejected due to "Not Authenticated"

When I follow up on these with the usual "We received this order without payment email" the reponse is typically about not having setup 3D or not knowing what to do. Most of the time they call me up and pay over the phone.

I find that I'm getting fewer cases now than I used to, but I suspect this is because I now take payments via paypal as well and many people who don't like 3d secure probably use this instead.

Mike
                        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

That sounds encouraging - do you apply 3D to all cards or just Maestro?

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

That's with 3D applied to all cards.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I think that probably the biggest driver for using 3D Secure is the amount of attempted fraud that you get. The more attempts, the more value 3D Secure can potentially add, to offest the downside.

As I said earlier, I think both use and acceptance of 3D Secure is growing, and eventually the banks will make it compulsory on all transactions. So I suspect it's a question of "when" rather than "whether".

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X