Surcharges for CC's but not DC's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surcharges for CC's but not DC's

hi, i know there are a good few threads on here about how this is not possible if you don't use a PSP. Im also aware of it being on the wish list for some time. Have Actinic got anywhere will this? Or has anyone found a way around?

TIA Darren
    Web design Bradford

I believe the work around is to define separate payment methods for "Debit card" and "Credit card" and then charge as appropriate.

Not sure of details but a serach of community or KB may help.

Chris

Comment

What drives this desire, i need to understand it, cos it seems plain bonkers to me on the surface. Is it the percentage of the sale taken by the card company?

People know to pay by credit card and they generally have no worry about fraud when they use a credit card, i can't for the life of me fathom out why the most preferred and recommended payment method is going to be penalised.

I can understand the want to cut costs, but if you go to this extent in this marketplace, surely it's like looking to take on a hamster in a wheel to create the electric needed to process the order. Surely it's just an operating cost?

I don't know of one successful site (Ryan Air aside) that surcharges for credit card use, if percentages are so high that they are annoying you to this extent, surely you want to be looking at ways to increase sales and thus reduce percentages, rather than this which will do the exact opposite.

Surcharges sit in bed with 20% restocking fees, 28 day delivery and 30 days to wait for a refund IMO, they should be dead and buried and never resurface. Give people reasons to buy, not reasons not to in my book.

Comment

Darren I'm with Lee here. The internet is a very competitve place, so visitors will compare you with your competitors on price. What they see is what they want/prepared/expect to pay, maybe they'll expect some postage, but that should be communicated early on.

If a customer gets all the way to the checkout process then consider yourself lucky, because there are a lot of oppertunities before then for a fickle buyer to leave, so whacking a surcharge on any credit-card transaction is crazy.

How would you feel is Asda, M&S and the like did it once you got to the till?

Army Gore-tex
        Winter Climbing Mitts
        webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
        Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

I would certainly advise against it for a normal retail website and seem to think there were rules against it for sales to the general public, although I cannot remember where I heard it to, bay be it's against the terms and conditions of the PSP or something.

I can see that for sales to trade customers where profit margins might be very slim and the order value high it might be desirable to make a surcharge for credit card payments to encourage the use of a debit card instead, or offer a discount for bank transfers and debit card payments.
          Darren Guppy
          Golf Tee Warehouse
          Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

I can see the point if trade purchases, although i'd still say there are better ways. Surely one buys a product, works out what they're selling it for and deducts costs. If someone buys a product and use a CC and you don't make enough money from the transaction, surely your prices need addressing, not the surcharges.

If i was asked to pay £10 + £2 surcharge for a product, i'd walk 100% of the time, even on a trade transaction.

If i was asked to pay £12 and i wanted it, no problem.

Surcharge is just a bloody awful term that can have no positive effects at all.

Comment

I may have this wrong but I thought the Consumer Credit Act 1974 had some rules preventing the passing on of such fee's
              Steve Wardell
              Operations Director

Comment

Not sure exactly how the Consumer Credit Act 1974 reads, but as Lee says Ryan Air do it, but I think how they get round it is to offer one card where there is no fee.

My local Londis does it too, but only on transactions for £6 and less. Then its 15p

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, the reasoning behind it is that the client will be selling goods which are over £1000 - they get charged by the bank they use, therefore they want to pass that cost onto the customer. Not my call.

I have been searching around on here and the KB for how to duplicate the credit card payment method (as the client wants to process the payments themselves). I can't find any post which actually list the procedure.

So far I have tried created a new record in the payment methods table, altered the ID etc. But I get "The requested phrase was not found: Phrase -1 ID:139 Language eng-uk. Where do I need to add the Phrase for this ID. Can't find the language file anywhere.

TIA
                  Web design Bradford

Comment

(as the client wants to process the payments themselves).
                    NO No No, not via credit card he cant... go read about PCI

Comment

if they are pci compliant they can
                      Web design Bradford

Comment

if they are pci compliant they can
                        True. But only if they have a separate ecommerce merchant account. You aren't allowed to put online transactions through a standard merchant account / shop terminal as there are different requirements for each.

Mke
                        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I split Worldpay into two on Actinic by changing the version number after copying / pasting the applicable files, now I have two entries in payments renamed to debit card and the other to credit card... I apply the surcharge by payment method and restricting it to Worldpay2 (as I called it).

Comment

Credit Card Surcharge, V9

Hi, How do i put a Surcharge for Credit Cards on to this version, as i am struggling to get it to work.

I have already used Discounts and surcharge section and not worked!

Please can anyone give me some help!!!!

Thanks

Comment

I think it's illegal to do so, this was discussed recently on here IIRC, try a search to find the thread. Short of it, pretty sure it's not legal to do so and why would you want to also, what a put off in almost all circumstances.

THREAD MERGED with existing conversation, please search before posting, your thread title brings up this thread as the very first result.

Comment

Working...
                              X