Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new "payment token system" coming from sagepay (new name for protx)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new "payment token system" coming from sagepay (new name for protx)

I received an email today from SagePay and thought it may be of interest to some of you.

We're pleased to announce the Token System is almost ready for release! This new bolt-on means you can collect customers card details securely on our payment pages, have them converted into tokens and then store the token against the customers details - at no point will you have to capture, store or transmit card details yourself! It's all the benefits of storing a card number without the high security requirements to do so. This token will be stored on our secure server until you give us the go ahead to process the transaction.
    In particular, the Token System can facilitate delayed or deferred payments, for instance if you are providing customised goods or where payment isn't taken until an order is complete. Using this system will mean that you can take card details at the point of sale but not process the details until delivery.

The other benefit to this tokenised system is that it allows you to take recurring payments from returning customers. By taking away the need for your customer to re-enter their payment details you can create a 'one click' payment process. As the details have already been collected and securely stored by us, the customer would simply be asked to enter their card security code (CV2) to verify the payment.
    Before we release this new system, we'd like to trial the technology. If you're interested in becoming one of our testers email us at . . . . . . . .
    I'm not 100% sure how it fits in with Actinic (or whether it could) but it certainly may help things off-actinic

kev

This had me confused at first. The word 'token' to me means something with a value, similar to a coin but not real money. Much like dinner tokens used to be when I went to school many years ago.

The idea of trying to get customers to buy tokens in advance of purchasing horrified me.

Having read it a couple of times, I see that they're really talking about creating a virtual card system that remembers the customers card details but keeps them secret. Thus allowing future payments to be taken against the card without having to ask for the card details again (with the exception of the CV2 number which as Chris B has pointed out before isn't allowed to be stored).

Secpay / paypoint already allow this by doing a repeat against the original transaction. It does sound like a useful idea though.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot View Post

Secpay / paypoint already allow this by doing a repeat against the original transaction. It does sound like a useful idea though.

Mike
      So does Sagepay.
      Of course, a repeat is actioned by the vendor though whereas I'm assuming this new feature is something that saves time for the customer, on future orders, instead.
      Rather like ordering from Amazon, perhaps? (except Amazon ask for neither CV2 or 3D secure auth!)
      Tracey

Comment

That's true. In amongst the talk of pre-authorising, etc was mention of

By taking away the need for your customer to re-enter their payment details you can create a 'one click' payment process
        That could be a very useful feature and something Actinic could look at including along with customer accounts.

And, presumably, their own version with Actinic payments.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot View Post
          This had me confused at first.
          yeah, I had to read it a couple of times as well,
          kev

Comment

Language

Yes, their use of the word token was quite confusing. It reminds me of the Royal Mail, who have quite different words for things than anybody else; for example, they call a docket a "cheque", and a book of dockets a "cheque book", and a manifest an "order".

Sarah

Comment

eBay also use the term token, which I believe gives authorization for an application to access eBay data on behalf of an eBay User.
              Darren Guppy
              Golf Tee Warehouse
              Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

Anybody found how to enable this in Sellerdeck?

I have just found this old 2010 posting. I am wanting to set up Sellerdeck to enable these "tokens" that are not tokens. Anybody managed to do this?

Sarah

Comment

Working...
                X