Actinic Payments Passing Fraud Failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actinic Payments Passing Fraud Failures

I am receiving orders through as OK despite address and postcode details not being checked. My Actinic Payments preferences are sent to void payments where post code and address have a status of "Not Checked" but this is not happening. Payent Method configuration set to enforce both checks. Results of Security Checks shown in the "View Payments" screen shows result as "not_checked". I reported this six days ago and have not had a resolution yet. Anyone else seeing this?

Response from Actinic Support......

After looking at the setup and you last email, development have this to say……
    ______

thank you, the question has been answered in the above(.i.e.) the customers setup screenshots, Actinic will not reject/void a transaction if the bank returns a result of 'not checked'. The virtual terminal in WebMIS has this option in its settings, but these settings are not used by Actinic.
    _________

Regards
    Kiran

That is a major failing in the Actinic Payments system. It now means I cannot trust any payment authorised by Actinic and that I have to check each one manually. Looks like I'll be dumping Actinic payments when my current subscription expires.

Fortunately none of the payments I have received that failed authorisation have been charged back (yet).

Comment

I suspect the 'not checked' reponse mostly applies to overseas cards where the banks are unable to check the address.

If this is the case then you'll need to live with it if you're looking for international orders.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I'm not looking for overseas orders I deal with the UK only. I want to be sure that I reject overseas cards. Other card processing facilities give the choice. This should only be a matter of adding a string to reject as 'Not Checked' is rejected. This looks like Actinic have decided to do half the job.

Comment

From a fraud point of view this is important for EVERY sale that is passed through regardless of where it comes from. UK fraudsters use overseas card numbers.

Comment

I would not advise rejecting all orders that fail AVS checks. You will reject many perfectly valid orders if you do this, as for a variety of reasons quite a few addresses will fail AVS because the customer has presented their address details slightly differently from how they are held on file.

Also, the checking by the bank system is partial, and some fraudsters have learnt how to get around the checks. So the opposite problem also applies.

The best bet is the 3rd Man check, combined with experience and your own procedures. That way you will be able to minimise fraud while also minimising the rejection of good orders. Tesco Direct and Argos use The 3rd Man, the latter claiming that 97% of fraud is caught. Of course, every business is slightly different.

Incidentally, Actinic are currently looking into adding a fraud check status of "Strict" which would reject payments if something wasn't checked, as well as if it failed. However, the advice above still applies.

Chris

Comment

I expected Actinic Payments to work properly when I asked it to reject non-matches and not checked. I'm happy to reject anything within those strict parameters. However, because you have chosen not to implement the rules fully I now have to go back to manual checks. I'm not asking for excuses just that your system works as promised. We have other fraud measures in place but that is no excuse for lazy programming.

Comment

There is 3rd Man data on the Actinic Payments web site but that's not passed through to the catalog with the order and the web site is frequently slow and often, like now, impossible to access.

Comment

Are you running version 8? Fraud data is downloaded automatically with the order in version 9 and 10.

Chris

Comment

I find 3rd man a complete waste of time.

It give you no useful info except to say there may be an issue but we are not telling what it is and there is no one to call to ask about the payment

The whole Actinic payment process and lack of support is poor .

Comment

I'm running 9.0.2, it shows CVV AVS and 3D Secure data but not 3rd man.

Comment

Originally posted by PJ ENG View Post
                        It give you no useful info except to say there may be an issue but we are not telling what it is
                        This i agree with - understanding why it has rejected something would be a big plus

Originally posted by software4ed View Post
                        I'm running 9.0.2, it shows CVV AVS and 3D Secure data but not 3rd man.
                        So you have the "auto download fraud status" ticked under business settings | payment and security ?

Comment

The KB at http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=44732 may help with a little further information about the 3rd Man detail that is available within EC.
                          Steve Wardell
                          Operations Director

Comment

Hi Steve

Thanks for the info but this still does not really explain what all the codes mean, admitedly some are self explanitory but what do the following mean (this is just a couple for example)

Phone number analysis
                            High ATV at delivery address

So some form of analysis was done but it still does not help you make a decision

Comment

So you have the "auto download fraud status" ticked under business settings | payment and security ?
                              Yes and I have also upgraded to 9.0.5 as 3rd man data wasn't passed though until the 9.0.4 update. It's working now.

Comment

Working...
                              X