Full name in Name field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full name in Name field

With V10 and SagePay, there is now a requirement for the customer to type more than one word (identifiable by a space) in the Name field. So S Bloggs is OK, Sarah Bloggs is OK, S. Bloggs is OK, Mrs Bloggs is OK, but SBloggs, S.Bloggs, Bloggs, Sarah, Mrs.Bloggs would all be rejected by SagePay as they look like one word and cannot therefore be a full name. I have put an instruction in the Checkout in bold red text, and have named the field FULL NAME of Payer, but still get customers getting it wrong and not realising what they have done, making multiple attempts at payment, and not reading or not understanding the error message about the Name field. Is there any way of forcing the customer to type something which contains at least one space within the text in this field?

Sarah

I thought V10 Sagepay now had to have separate first name and last name fields. See Settings for Shopper Name Handling. You can make fields required in Design Text under Invoice Address.
    Peblaco

Comment

I'll do that

Thank you. I shall do that tonight after backing up and see what effect it has. SagePay do not require separate First and Last name fields as essential, but the Name field has to look like it contains both. I was trying to avoid separating them, as I think it may cause other problems, especially as regular customers have been ordering since 2004 with the one field, so are used to it, and have saved their details accordingly.

Sarah

Comment

There's been some issues with the new SagePay protocol V2.23 and Actinic V10 which is what Louise is referring to.

You can read about it here [note the updates at the end]
        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
        Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
        SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

There are a few things you could do:

1. People usually understand better when you show them what they need to do rather than explain it. So you could pre-populate the field with "Firstname & Lastname Required" so they can see what's expected.

You'll probably want to use some javascript to clear the pre-populated text when they select it.

2. Another option would be to use javascript to test the name entry and add some extra text to the field if there's just a single block of text. So you could add "Shopper " or "Customer " in front so the name field becomes "Shopper SBloggs" or "Customer SBloggs". The same javascript could also check for "." and add a space after them to fix that entry problem.

Mike
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Why not switch first and last name on, make them 'required' so can't be ignored and then add dummy values 'enter first name' and 'enter last name' as the initial value and then add an onfocus to clear field once clicked into. The search field has the onfocus clear and the initial value, just copy that. I don't think any checkout with that in place will be an issue for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by peblaco View Post
              I thought V10 Sagepay now had to have separate first name and last name fields
              Comment, changing to this new option causes problems if you have a few thousand Customer Accounts set up in your previous version and upgraded - to the extent that it may not be viable (to edit them all).

On changing the option, accounts won't upload as they have a blank required field. It's easier to put it back like it was.
              Paul
              Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Done it but caused another problem

I changed to First Name and Last Name and everything was going fine over the weekend until I realised on Monday that the capitalisation script that I had set up previously on the Full Name was not working - obviously. So many of the weekend's orders have names like sarah bloggs or SARAH BLOGGS instead of Sarah Bloggs, so are causing new accounts to be created when imported into Sage, extra manual work for order processors today. I have now fixed the script and everything appears to be fine. Orders are actually up, which may be a coicidence.

Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by saucysal View Post
                  ...sarah bloggs or SARAH BLOGGS instead of Sarah Bloggs, so are causing new accounts to be created when imported into Sage...
                  This is something you would've expected Sage to have sorted out.

Comment

Working...
                  X