Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PayPal Cards unknown error

Hello again,

It seems but a brief moment since I last sought the collective wisdom of this forum. Probably because it was!

I have had customers on complaining that they cannot process card payments through the PayPal Cards checkout. It seems to be throwing an "unknown error" after the card details have been entered and before it transfers to PayPal. I know PayPal will blame Sellerdeck and vice versa, so does anyone have any insight? V18.2.0, all keys look correct, I pre-authorise payments (could that be the issue?) and I have accepted liability for both 3DS in a bid to remove any blockers on my end.

The PayPal (not cards) checkout works fine, so should I just forget PayPal Cards? I assumed the charges were higher, but I can see that payments have been coming through that channel where the user has used a card (maybe a saved card?) My worry is that people without a PayPal account either aren't able to use it, don't want to use it or don't think they can use it.

I will also be raising a ticket for this, but I am not hopeful. I will of course report back the outcome.

Many thanks,
    Steve

Try checking it's in production mode rather than test if you have made any changes it can shift it to test mode for paypal cards..

It gives exactly that error
    https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/

Ed Harrison - Menmuir Scotland

Comment

Thanks Ed, it is in production mode.

Surprisingly, I received a very thorough reply from PayPal citing an issue with the API. The product quantity is being led by a zero, 01 instead of just 1, and they reckon this is the issue. I honestly don't have a clue how to sort that but I do have a support ticket open with Sellerdeck, which I will update and report back.

All the best,
      Steve

Comment

I've been using PayPal commerce with cards for ages without any issues, have you made any recent changes?

Comment

Hi Ed,

I haven't changed anything in that respect, but it seems it has actually never worked. I hadn't bothered too much previously as we weren't really pushing the web sales side of the business. However, we have just started an Adwords campaign at great expense, so clearly we don't need this issue.

Cheers again,
          Steve

Comment

Hopefully support will provide a quick solution for you, be interested to know what it is.

Comment

I will certainly post any updates I receive.

Comment

Interesting. I have something odd going on with some order payments as well. I wonder if it's the same thing.
                -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

It get's stranger. I successfully entered an order using my own debit card, and the order type came through as PayPal, not PayPal (Cards). I did not login to PayPal at any time (although it could have recognised my email address), and I went through the same checkout card payment page that my customer sent me a screen shot of with the error.

I don't know then how PayPal determines if the order is using PayPal or PayPal (Cards). I would have thought whatever route you go down in the cart would have determined that?

Sellerdeck are looking in to this and I am uploading a support snapshot as we speak, so I'll let you know what they find.

Comment

Originally posted by stevewhyte View Post
                    It get's stranger. I successfully entered an order using my own debit card, and the order type came through as PayPal, not PayPal (Cards). I did not login to PayPal at any time (although it could have recognised my email address), and I went through the same checkout card payment page that my customer sent me a screen shot of with the error.

I don't know then how PayPal determines if the order is using PayPal or PayPal (Cards). I would have thought whatever route you go down in the cart would have determined that?

Sellerdeck are looking in to this and I am uploading a support snapshot as we speak, so I'll let you know what they find.
                    Not sure if this helps or I've understood the issue raised, but ......

I think the conformation emails from PP are worded differently for orders paid for by "cards" or PP balance (not sure as I just delete them) also if you log into your PP account and open the order, at the bottom of the page for card payments there is a section of "checks" headed Card and processor response details
                    and at the top it will say "not eligable for seller protection"

When the payment is from a PP balance it say "eligable for seller protection" and at the bottom of the page it has the customers PP email, phone number etc

Likewise if the site offers the PP credit option (pay in 3) it says so on the transaction page.
                    www.devotedly-discus.co.uk

Comment

If you open the order and click payments it shows there if its a card or PayPal, you can see card type and so on.
                      In the order list they all.show as PayPal on mine regardless.

Comment

Thanks again gents,

When I look at the payments tabs on successful orders, there are many that are paid by card and many that are paid by PayPal balance. They are all coming through using the "PayPal" payment method (as per Ed above), so I still don't know how it decides when to use PayPal or PayPal (Cards). What I can see is that any order attempting to use the PayPal (Cards) method doesn't seem to work. PayPal came back with a bit of missing code, but I'm not sure what it does. It was to be added at the end of the Library>Layouts>Theme Stylesheets>Core Styles code and read :

body.paymentOverlayActive > div.paymentOverlay {
                        z-index: 199;
                        background: rgba(0,0,0,0.5);
                        transition: opacity 100ms;
                        position: fixed; top: 0;
                        bottom: 0;
                        left: 0;
                        right: 0;
                        }

I only enabled PayPal (Cards) because some customers were abandoning because they didn't have a PayPal account and didn't realise that you can still order using a card. I think I'm goin to look at another card payment option instead, perhaps the new Sellerdeck one.

Comment

Working...
                        X