Extended Info Page Keywords & Meta Tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended Info Page Keywords & Meta Tags

Hi all, I'm struggling with SEO and wonder if anyone can help with this rather complicated scenario; it goes a little like this..

My site is setup with a list of key product sections.
    Each section contains sub-sections.
    Each sub-section contains a 'list' of products without images (very much a plain and simple list format).
    Each product in the list has an extended info text link.
    A site visitor clicks on the text link and the full product page with image appears together with product info, price etc. (this page appears inside the outer layout format, within the same window and is therefore seamless and dosn't act as a typical pop-up).

My question is this; the full product information page (extended info.) when viewed online has a title tag which is fed from the sub-section it belongs to, and this is fine.

However; the keywords and description tags all come from the products homepage and are the same for every single product in our entire store. As we antcipate having a wide and varied product range it's important to us to be able to customise the product page tags.

I'd like to have the extended info pages keywords and description tags fed from the sub-sections they belong to (like the title tag), so that the tags for each extended page more closely relate to the products on display.

I am really struggling to resolve this and can't find any way around this? and am getting desperate for some help...

I hope I've explained this reasonably well, my heads in spinning mode right now so appologies if this isn't clear.

Would sincerely appreciate any advice or pointers as to where I might find the grail
    Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you...

However; the keywords and description tags all come from the products homepage and are the same for every single product in our entire store. As we antcipate having a wide and varied product range it's important to us to be able to customise the product page tags.
    I suspect you need to reverse the following
    'Site Options | Links'., 'Include Meta Keywords from All Parent Sections' from 'True' to False

then you can add unique meta tags on the section details, page settings/details

Comment

I'm just trying this now; and it makes sense in a day full of none - sense

I already have sub-section tags entered so I'll keep em crossed and pop back with the result shortly.

Many thanks

Comment

not one of those magical days when things go to plan

I've switched the 'Site Options | Links'., 'Include Meta Keywords from All Parent Sections' from 'True' to False

Previewed / Snapshot'd and Published - still retains original description and keyword tags from the main products page I'm afraid.

Comment

Are you using GlbMetaDescription or MetaKeywords as the variable? I think you might need to use MetaKeywords

Comment

Oohhh dear... could you tell me where I might find GlbMetaDescription please?

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean but it is a standard variable, you need to go to design and find where it is placing the meta tags and what variable it is using (variables are shown in blue)

Pic 1: Select the product and then select the extended info tab and click the little preview button. Now click the design tab and then click on the outter edge of your sites design you should now see where the variable is (Blue Text) for both meta description and meta keywords

You can either simply type in the new variable Eg: GlbMetaDescription or MetaKeywords (obviously try the different variable to what is already on the page)

or Pic 2:

Click the little Blue variable button which bring sup thevariable menu, simply type meta in the list name containing field and then select the variable required.

Here is the code we use if you would like to copy this in to your extended info pages and give it a try.

Code:
              <meta name="keywords" content="<Actinic:Variable Name="ProductName"/>, <actinic:variable name="MetaKeywords" /> " />
              <meta name="description" content="<Actinic:Variable Name="ProductName"/> | <actinic:variable name="MetaDescription" />" />

Comment

Working...
              X