cuil.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cuil.com

I've been following the advent of cuil.com for a little while now. It seems it has a long way to go but has an interesting take on searching.

Anyone else been trying it out?

Personally, I think its a waste of effort (but £20m worth of investment may prove me wrong). The URL itself is an issue for me. For example, get the i and l around the wrong way when you type it in and you'll be in for a shock (WARNING: Don't do it if you are in work or a public place!)

Competition is good though, but I just think from what I've seen already (images returned for wrong entries etc.), they launched too early.

Good luck to them though.
    KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

We are number one on Google for a lot of keywords but I've noticed that on this search engine we don't appear, our main competitors do though but they are shown with one of our images (which has our URL splashed across the front of it).

Regards,
      Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
      Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
      A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
      Product Mash for Sellerdeck
      Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
      Multichannel order processing
      Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Yep - there are major issues with the image/site correlation. Not sure how they will or even can correct it (if they have 4x the sites indexed than Goolgle), but I'm sure its only a matter of time before sombody sues them for it.

Comment

Yes I noticed that many links to my sites have the wrong images. I think it's early days perhaps for them.

They say their results are based on web analysis not user analysis so you get back to basics results rather than results slanted by the G algos I presume.

Comment

a search for 'actinic' for example, returns plenty of images for the terrible keratosis, not good cuil.

Comment

Exactly. Even though the search: http://www.cuil.com/search?q=actinic brings back actinic.com as the top site, the image associated is far from cuil like Gabe says.

Comment

The image they are using for us is from our old site, last seen on a web page near you over 3 years ago! God knows where they found that!
                Cheers

David
                Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

I was looking at this last night and noticed that one of my results has an interesting image which shows '"save £15 on purchases over £30"!

Completely unrelated to me, never been used by me...plucked from thin air, from what I can see and not at ALL good for business!

In fact, none of the images used on any of my results are or have ever been used by me so that's reduced my confidence in them straight away.
                  Tracey

Comment

So who is going to be the 1st person to contact "Jim" about his robot then

mind the best bit, ebay seems to be a long way down the list

Comment

Just had a look and searched for microwave oven spares, and microwave oven parts, some very odd results, and strange things happen if you click on links. I won't be using cuil.com as far as I can see...not unless it starts to work properly.
                      Still going to stick with Google.
                      Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

www.kitchenwareonline.com
                      www.microwave-repair.co.uk

Comment

Interesting article regarding the day to day life at cuil.com offices :

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/31/inside_cuil/

I'll be sticking to Google for the moment at least
                        Regards Steve

www.UltimateFightwear.co.uk
                        www.thedancersshop.co.uk
                        www.ice-dancer.co.uk

There must be a get rich quick scheme that works!

Comment

Working...
                        X