Duplicate Content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Gabe's code implemented URL removed

If you click on, either, the Title or More Info... link of the 4 piece set at the top of the page, you will get taken to the original product.

I struggled yesterday and had coding errors poping up around the block ifs associated with the variables, but having started a fresh to day that didn't happen. So I assume it was something to do with my variable yesterday, but can't say I did anything different today

The only thing I definately changed was the bit of code associate with the Actinic Version, which I hadn't noticed yesterday:

Code:
    $connect = odbc_pconnect("ActinicCatalog8","","", SQL_CUR_USE_ODBC);
    to

Code:
    $connect = odbc_pconnect("ActinicCatalog9","","", SQL_CUR_USE_ODBC);

Army Gore-tex
    Winter Climbing Mitts
    webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
    Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Lee, just to let you know we are operating as you suggest with SPP. We have separate pages for duplicate items so it's easy for the customers to get back to the section they came from.

We use the variable 'ProductID' to name the extended info pages to make sure they all get different page names, otherwise they get over written. (The productID includes the duplicate number.

We then use the Meta Tag nofollow as you suggest to stop Google indexing the duplicate extended info page.

This seams to work OK for us. Although I do admit I would be much happier having just one page for all the duplicates if I was able to populate a list to every section which contained the product. on the extended info page.
      Jethro

TridentUK.com, the yacht and dinghy shop on the web

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe View Post
        You'd have to find a way to remove content in those sections, to avoid the duplicate content from being spidered when your sitemap is crawled, etc. i'd suggest putting the sections in your no fly zone for google sitemaps too.

I've put the nofollow meta tag in the <head> and wrapped a block if around it referencing Gabes Variable that seems to do the job:

Code:
        <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22ContainsSingleDuplicateProduct%22%20%2f%3e%20%3d%3d%20true" >
        	<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow" />
        	</actinic:block>

Army Gore-tex
        Winter Climbing Mitts
        webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
        Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Lee, I haven't really been following this thread but if your client has problems with Google then it's unlikely to be because of this.

When Google finds duplicate content then it will remove what it sees as duplicates from the index and leave what it thinks is the original. As far as I know there isn't penalty for this so there's not really much point in worrying about it. Particularly if we're talking about SPP as the customer only needs one of the pages to be in the index. Just let Google do it's job.

Mike
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

That basicly what we use, but we use the variable 'DuplicateIndex' which a default an actinic variable, as below;

Code:
            <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22DuplicateIndex%22%20%2f%3e%20%3e%3d%201" >
            Jethro

Comment

Presumably all this is only relevant to non SPP. I can't understand the problem with using cut down duplicates all linking to the SPP.

Or am I missing the point here?

Comment

Duncan. It's a complex way of making a simple job complex. How many times have we been here over the years?

Comment

The problem lies in the fact that neither solution prevents a perfect answer IMO, but like I said if I am missing a trick, then great I can learn something, hence the discussion and raising the point. I've summarised things below as i see them.

CUT DOWN DUPLICATES & EXTENDED INFO PAGES

Pros
                  1. Quick & Easy to setup
                  2. One overall page that all products link to
                  3. No duplicate content
                  4. Standard items at product layout level available for layouts

Cons
                  1. Incorrect breadcrumb trail presented a lot of the time
                  2. Performance woeful on a page with a lot of products
                  3. SEO fields not all available as standard

ONE PRODUCT PER SECTION

Pros
                  1. Vast improvement of speed and page previews
                  2. SEO fields all available as standard
                  3. Correct breadcrumb trail

Cons
                  1. Have to create a new section for every product duplicate
                  2. Multiple pages all doing the same or very similar things

I saw the performance hit mentioned above with my own eyes, a page with 40 products using extended info pages, took almost 4 minutes to preview, yet when converted to SPP via sub-sections (exactly same products), page preview completed in 4 seconds. Nothing wrong with the site and on my high spec desktop. The same performance hit seen by others too as it's been mentioned in the forum a number of times. Factor in that and the missing SEO fields and for me, i don't see it as a done deal decision, BUT like i said i am happy to be shown the light, hence the thread on what i feel is at least a worthy discussion.

Comment

IMO - anything that involves the extinfo is a complete waste of time.

using duplicates is more time consuming yes BUT you will spend far more time trying to get the extinfo methods to work correctly and if you do it correctly there will be no duplicate content

Comment

I don't like extinfo pages either, but i can at least see a possible argument for them where you may want products provided in 3-4 different ways of shopping, purely because there is only one ultimate page that all duplicates link to, even though there are issues as detailed.

You seem to intimating that you also hate extinfo pages and favour the cut down duplicates route, yet you don't seem to be creating subsections for each duplicate. That got me thinking as to how you do the 'more info' link on the duplicates, being products there is nowhere for them to link to unless of course you manually maintain the more info links and link them direct to the master product section. I can only assume you do yours that way, UNLESS of course I am missing something else, which is what made me start the thread in the first place.

There seems to be at least 3-4 methods being used by people, I guess with your SEO expertise, your method should be one of the very first ones to look at using.

Comment

Each "listing" on a multi listing page can be made unique and can be on multiple pages eg brand, colour etc. Each one also links to a true single product page (NOT extinfo) with link text that can be "tuned" and by clicking the listing image.

Comment

I'm with Lee, the way we do it certaintly isn't ideal, but having tried both options we have found it the best way for us.

We only duplicate pages to keep the breadcrumb trail correct.
                          Jethro

Comment

I think i have it worked out now what you are saying and i can certainly see the advantages of that, especially the tuning of link text, my only initial concern would be how well clients do it, but then again we have that concern on any method we try to pass on. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Clients have to cope IMO - they all want the easy option but there is no gain without pain.

Comment

Working...
                              X