Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seo Page Title

Hi

I'm trying to optimise my site and have got a bit of a block with the page titles. Some people suggest keeping the description within 63 characters to ensure that all of the title shows up in a search result and some people suggest keying in more keywords to ensure you rank higher. At the same time I want to keep Google happy if I can.

I've got quite a few pages to edit in my shop and would appreciate any help and advice before I start.

Many thanks

Lou

45 characters or less. Most important keywords at the begining. Loads about this already on the forum - most recent for cinetodvd

Comment

Thank you very much Mal.

Regards

Lou

Comment

There is a free seo book on my website to download if you want a read over Christmas.

Comment

Keyword Research, SEO Consulting and Training | SEO Research Labs
          This is a well optimised title tag 56 characters in total

Hi, I'm Dan Thies. Although I'm best known as the "keyword guru," I've been practicing, studying and teaching advanced search engine ...
          This is a well optimised page description. The page description is designed to appeal to the human reader of Google search results and at the same time back up the page title so that Google knows that this page is probably all about Dan Thies Keyword researcher.

Here is a example of fine product page title/description optimisation
          Page Title
          Lord of the Rings Swords | LOTR Swords | Lord of the Rings Weapons
          Page Description
          Licensed Lord of the Rings Swords by United Cutlery. Authentic LOTR weapons & armor replicas.
          This page is optimised for Lord of the Rings swords.

Just get started on yours. Don't worry about them not being perfect from the start. As you improve your writing skills can always re-write them at a later date. Do read Mals book it is a goldmine for the procrastinator in all of us.

Comment

Make sure any keywords in your title are also within the body text of the page, ie within product name and/or product description

Comment

Could someone look at this page and tell me if I need to change the Title, Description, Page Name etc.

http://www.homeautomation-direct.com..._Monitors.html
              www.homeautomation-direct.com

Energy Monitors and X-10 automation hardware

Comment

Home Automation Direct :: DIY Kyoto Wattson Energy Monitors
                This is better
                Kyoto Wattson Energy Monitors l Wattson Energy Monitor
                The Wattson is an ultra cool energy monitor that will allow you to do your bit to save the planet by conserving energy. It displays in real time, using numbers and colours, the amount of electricity being used in your home. Wattson comes complete with Holmes, the software that makes this the most sophisticated electricity monitoring system available.

People don't care about 'ultra cool' 'do your bit' 'real time' 'the most sophisticated electricity monitoring system available'

What they want to know is how much money they can save by using the Wattson. Even ardent conservationists pay attention to how much money the device will save them.

Comment

Here is what you have to beat.
                  From Google
                  Position number one for search term ,
                  "DIY Kyoto Wattson Energy Monitor"

Page Title
                  Wattson energy monitor from DIY Kyoto
                  Page description
                  Introducing the Wattson 01 from DIY Kyoto. This is the first energy monitor designed with passion. Its an energy monitor, but it's also really cool
                  For the search term, "Wattson Energy Monitor"

Page Title
                  DIY KYOTO
                  Page Description
                  They don't even have one so Google simply pulls the text from the top of the left hand column on their homepage which is,

If you would like updates on DIY KYOTO & wattson please click here ... You’ll soon be swapping ideas on how to save even more energy – and money.

So nothing to beat. Make the changes and come back and let us know when you are number one in Google!

Comment

Originally posted by bamboo View Post
                    Here is what you have to beat.
                    From Google
                    Position number one for search term ,
                    "DIY Kyoto Wattson Energy Monitor"
                    I appear to be number 5 on the first page for this

For the search term, "Wattson Energy Monitor"
                    But back on page nine for this...

Are you specifically saying use the bar (|) as a separator and use the section then product name e.g. OWL Energy Monitors | OWL CM113 Energy Monitor for the title?

Comment

Originally posted by consciouspnm View Post
                      Are you specifically saying use the bar (|) as a separator and use the section then product name e.g. OWL Energy Monitors | OWL CM113 Energy Monitor for the title?
                      Yes it is!

Comment

Is it better to have a title like this:

Energy Saving and Monitoring | DIY Kyoto Energy Monitors | DIY Kyoto Wattson Energy Monitor
                        or is it better to have them reversed i.e.:

DIY Kyoto Wattson Energy Monitor | DIY Kyoto Energy Monitors | Energy Saving and Monitoring
                        so the actual product comes first and therefore has a higher priority?

Comment

I prefer the product first, otherwise i can have titles all starting in the same way. I want the unique content at the start as much as possible.

Comment

Working...
                          X