Yahoo & Google

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yahoo & Google

Hi, you will have to excuse my ignorance however although having been involved in IT for many years I have always stayed away from the web or anything to do with it (from a development aspect)

I have been up and running with our site now for about 8 months, http://www.sparesworld.co.uk. Here is where my frustration begins! We are dooing realy well on Yahoo page rankings with a large number of our keywords posing in the top 10, yet for a reason I am unable to fathom we are getting nowhere with Google.

We are not in this game to throw a load of money at Google just to improve our Search Engine positioning.

I would very much appretiate any help or guidance that anyone could give on why this is the case, suerly if my site is doing well on one search engine it would also do well on Google

Thanks in Advance!
    www.sparesworld.co.uk

It's down to the way the site has been built for you - I suggest you talk to your designers and ask them to optomise it for google. Getting rankings on yahoo is easy - unfortunatley most sales are from google.

Comment

I would also look at your source code and compare it to other actinic sites - see the difference and ask your designers to fix things

Comment

after a quick peek at your source, i can indeed see some quirky coding issues.

HTML Code:
        NAME="author"CONTENT="
        though not the end of the world, the missing space there is bungling this metatag. This is one example.

Your html does not have a valid doctype too. This may be one of many reasons why google hates you.

It could also be something else, like, you may be banned or removed for some reason, or your content may not be sufficiently 'interesting' to google.

try starting a blog

Comment

lol - You will need more than a blog to fix that mess.

Comment

Thanks go to those who have given constructive responses. And to those who dont follow the definition USER FORUM, whats the point of posting if you dont have anything positive or constructive to add, this is supposed to be a help forum, or have you forgotten?????
            www.sparesworld.co.uk

Comment

Paul,

I see both Malcolm and Gabe have given you sound advice - you can't go wrong if you follow Malcolm's initial advice - compare your source code with other Actinic sites and fix the discrepancies.

I think the last comment was made very light-heartedly, but also sensibly - you will need more than a blog to fix the 'mess' (you'll find this once you follow the first piece of advice; compare your source to another Actinic based site). No harsh words involved, just friendly banter - that's half the fun of the Community.

'Start a blog' - I'd say that's tongue in cheek, it's just another way to fool Google to send their search engine users to your site. (Oh, and it works, too)

Have a look at the comments made above, and see what you can take from them - 90% of your issues will be found simply by following the advice given

Comment

Hi Paul
                I concur with Grant.
                Both Gabe and Mal gave good, pertinent, concise advice.
                These chaps know what they're talking about.

If I was to receive advice from a man with a gun and a another in a shed, I'd take it
                Kind Regards
                Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

As others have pointed out don't shoot the messenger of bad news. Your design company has built you a site that does not use actinic to best effect - that's not my problem for telling you, it's yours.

You will almost certainly need more help from this forum and I suggest you consider being a little more thankfull for the free advice. I've added you to my ignore list so I don't have to suffer the pain of the dentist anymore.

Comment

Apart from the near-naked ladies (which I understand are de rigueur in the motor trade, regrettably), it's the glaring grammatical error in your site banner which offends me.

Other than that, the general points mentioned above seem the way for you to take this site forward.
                    Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Do yourself a favour and sign up to http://www.planetocean.com/ the best business investment you'll ever make.

The unfair advantage book is a perfect primer to google.

Search engine news is the dogs doodahs

(PS I'm nothing to do with this company so this isn't sales spam).
                      Wayne Theisinger

The Web's just settling in. We got the tech, now let's put up something that matters.

Comment

Working...
                      X