Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crawling and indexing

Hi all
    I am trying to understand the difference between (in Googles case), crawling a webpage and indexing a webpage. I believe that if both things happen on a regular basis it suggests that Google likes your site and thinks it is worth doing both things often.
    Can someone try and explain the difference please? In my sites case, it appears to be crawled weekly which is fine for now but the last time the site was indexed was over a year ago.
    Many thanks
    K
    Test in Private

Google is forever crawling web pages - check your server stats and you'll see Google crawls a popular site at least a few pages a day.

The reason Google isn't creating a new cache of your page is most likely because the content has not changed. (This is how Google stores a copy of your page, click the 'Cached' link below a search result.)

'Indexing' refers to crawling a page and adding it to its search results (ie. a user can then find the page through Google search).

Once a page is indexed it cannot be re-indexed, because it's already in the index!

---Edit---

Your home page was cached on February 20th 2009. Google currently had 207 pages of your site indexed.

Comment

Working...
    X