SEO and deleting pages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SEO and deleting pages

Just when we're starting to rank quite well on a few keywords some of our suppliers have discontinued a lot of their ranges. It's going to be in the region of 200 products that will be deleted and replaced. Just wondered if there's anything I need to consider seo wise.

Make sure your xml sitemap is updated, use google webmaster tools and that you have a redirect (.htaccess) set up so that any old links to the product pages are redirected properly.
    "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions"

Comment

Originally posted by paulie555 View Post
      Just when we're starting to rank quite well on a few keywords some of our suppliers have discontinued a lot of their ranges. It's going to be in the region of 200 products that will be deleted and replaced. Just wondered if there's anything I need to consider seo wise.
      Deleted and replaced - ie. discontinuing a red car and introducing a blue car, or discontinuing a red car and introducing a black truck?

If the products have similarities - we're in the same boat as you every year (I suspect this probably happens across every industry though) - read up on 301 redirects - redirecting the 'old' page to the 'new page' - I wouldn't advise redirecting the old red car to a black truck as they are barely related.

Redirect the 'well and truly discontinued' pages to an appropriate section.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll look into the 301 redirects.

Comment

Working...
        X