Site Review Required - Golf Tee Warehouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Richard, I will take a look.

Some of the problems with IE6 seem to be because IE6 is ignoring the IE6 and earlier specific stylesheet I have added (ie6.css) to overcome a few layout issues. I spent a couple of days last week and finally thought it was working but on checking now it appears to no longer be working. Can anybody see what I have done wrong with the extra stylesheet.

I was trying to avoid using a separate stylesheet for IE6 but it was the only way I could solve some of the layout problems in IE6.
    Darren Guppy
    Golf Tee Warehouse
    Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

You've got this in your source:
      Code:
         <link href="acatalog/actinic.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

<!--[if lte IE 6]>
      		<link href="ie6.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
      	<![endif]-->
      Is the ie6.css file in your root folder or should it be acatalog/ie6.css?
      ActiveStock
      On-line, real-time stock control plug-in for Actinic V7, V8 and V9
      **New - Captcha plug-in for your Contact Us form**

ActiveStock website
      Free 30 Day Trial
      ActiveStock Blog (including a new tutorial on a 'Sort By' function for long section pages)

Comment

What sort of things are you doing in the IE6 CSS to warrant the separate sheet?

Comment

Thanks Richard,

I hadn't noticed that when uploaded Actinic adds in the /acatalog for the actinic.css which is why IE6 can't find the file.

Code:
             <link href="actinic.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

<!--[if lte IE 6]>
          		<link href="ie6.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
          	<![endif]-->
          Darren Guppy
          Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

The two main IE tweaks i needed were:

1. The trade quote images box where I have an image extending outside the box (by design) likes fine in FF and IE7 but in IE6 the border is pushed out forcing the right hand column to be forced down below
            I used
            Code:
            #GTWTradeQuoteBox {
            	overflow:hidden;
            }
            to fix it. (see attcahed image)

2. The top nav bar expands to fit 100% of the screen width and had to apply a fixed width in IE6 to limit the width.
            Code:
            .solidblockmenu {
            	width: 664px;
            }
            I could change the width in the main actinic.css to obtain the same effect but would need to modify this if the text in the nav bar changes.

The remaining entries are:

Code:
            #GTWleftColumn {
            	padding: 0px 8px 30px 8px;
            }

#GTWRightColumn {
            	padding: 0px 0px 30px 8px;
            }

#GTWInnerLayout {
            	padding-left:0px;
            	padding-right:0px;
            }
            which were for slight modifications of spacing issues (possibly to stop the right column being forced down under the main content, although I don't recall at the moment).

My intention was to look into the ie6 issues after the site was up and running and try and bring everything back into a single css.

(original v7 site was using V7 LE and had a 25 product limitation so the sooner I could launch the site the sooner I could start selling the new products.
            Attached Files
            Darren Guppy
            Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

I have updated the css reference to include the acatalog and checked the file exists on the server but it still does not appear to be recognized by IE6

Code:
                 <link href="acatalog/actinic.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">

<!--[if lte IE 6]>
              		<link href="acatalog/ie6.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
              	<![endif]-->

EDIT: If I remove the <!--[if lte IE 6]> and <![endif]--> the stylesheet is recognised but as soon as the conditional tags are added it doesn't, although other text inside the conditional tags appears OK eg If I type 'Hello'
              Darren Guppy
              Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

I notice you close the IE6 'link' within the conditional tags using "/>", but the 'actinic.css' link tag just ends ">". Could that be causing a problem?
                ActiveStock

ActiveStock website
                Free 30 Day Trial
                ActiveStock Blog (including a new tutorial on a 'Sort By' function for long section pages)

Comment

Originally posted by rmorrow View Post
                  I notice you close the IE6 'link' within the conditional tags using "/>", but the 'actinic.css' link tag just ends ">". Could that be causing a problem?
                  I tried it with and without with no difference, thanks for the suggestion
                  Darren Guppy
                  Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

Actinic strips out comments unless it is uncompressed code, maybe that is your issue, I seem to recall this being discussed before. Although the overall need for different CSS sheets seems the overall problem, it's true that IE6 needs the odd hack to play ball, but it can all be done inside of the main sheet usually.

Comment

Actinic is currently in uncompressed mode and checking the source code online shoes the conditional tags as being displayed correctly.
                      I spent the best part of a day trying to sort this problem out last week and read through all the posts about Actinic stripping the tags which I naturally thought was the problem.
                      Annoyingly I am sure it was working and tested but now after going live no longer seems to work and I can not see why not.
                      Darren Guppy
                      Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

The IE6 stylesheet is now working again, as suggested by rmorrows the relative location of the css file was causing an issue.
                        After reverting to an older snapshot I realised that the home page and brochure pages were not recognizing the css file but the product pages were.

The reason is that because Actinic is reading everything between the <!-- and --> as a comment it was not processing the data and so didn't append the 'acatlog/' for brochure pages as it does for the actinic.css file, which explains why it worked if I removed the conditional comments. I have now put two different versions of the conditional comment inside a blockif checkif whether the page is a brochure or non-brochure page.

Annoyingly I had checked the different variations without apparent success, unless my browser was displaying a cached version of the page or revert the site back a few days and then back again to todays snapshot fixed something.
                        Darren Guppy
                        Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

There is a trick to get around Actinic reading the code between <!-- and --> as comments:

Code:
                          <script type="text/javascript">
                          document.write('<!--[if lte IE 6]>
                          <link href="acatalog/ie6.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
                          <![endif]-->')
                          </script>
                          ActiveStock

ActiveStock website
                          Free 30 Day Trial

Comment

Just a quick update to thank everyone for their help and confirm that I have corrected everything mentioned (apart from the duplicate basket summaries will be looked at later).
                            I have now tested in IE6, IE7, IE8, Firefox, Safari and Opera.
                            Darren Guppy
                            Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

Working...
                            X