Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request for site review and SEO help

Hi All,
    New poster here so be gentle. Started my website over a year ago now and it has evolved from rubbish to not to bad ( in my oppinion). I know it has a way to go yet but the problem I have at the moment is SEO and getting it seen on the google natural listing pages. Can anyone spot any reason why google doesn't like my website? It has appeared a couple of times on the first pages for useful key phrases like "women's lingerie" but then it is dumped . Is this just doing the google dance untill it settles down or have I made an obviouse design error? Any help would be appreciated as what little hair I have left is now turning grey. Reviews also welcome http://www.lucieswardrobe.co.uk
    P.S I am not a designer, just a simple engineer who wants to get out of engineering.

OK. A quick question. What are the top keyword phrases you're optimising for and what have you done so far in terms of SEO?

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi Mike,
      Top key phrases that are being optimised mainly by way of backlinks are :-
      sexy Lingerie
      womens lingerie
      women's lingerie
      women's underwear
      I have employed an seo company who are building backlinks for me. On the odd occation when the site drops in it is ranking on page one for the womens lingerie phrases and page three for the sexy lingerie page. But as I said, it doesn't stay there for more than a day when it disapears again. I just feel that something is wrong with the onsite optimisation. The backlinking is doing it's stuff but google just doesn't like something.
      Thanks again,

Pete

Comment

My reply is based on experience I gained over 3 -4 years ago....

i was set the task of optimising a lingerie store for similar keyphrases. I found it nigh on impossible to get anywhere on the phrases you site, mainly because ofthe competition having budgets 100000s x more than yours.

where I did have sucess though was with more specific product phrases - eg red lacy bra, white corset etc. The first thing I notice is all your products are referenced by a product number. Potential purchaser are not going to type TS-1028 into a search engine with the hope of finding Opaque Back Lace Socks.

My advice would be to rename all products more descriptively ie product descriptions including key phrases. Also add more descriptive text to each product.

Comment

I have employed an seo company who are building backlinks for me.
          I just feel that something is wrong with the onsite optimisation.
          So is it you or the seo company that's stuffed the page with hidden text?

Edit: Point taken by OP and quoted text removed as it's no longer necessary and apparently is ranking quite well for certain terms in Google.

Comment

That text is not hidden. It is accessible from the "more info" link at the bottom of the page.
            It was added by the seo company but I would be interested to hear wheather it is regarded as hidden or not. Obviously if google think it is being hidden then it would have a huge negative effect. Thank you for bringing this possible cause to my attention, I will put it to my seo company and see what they say.

Comment

That text is not hidden.
              Of course it's hidden. It's not exactly visible is it?

My honest recommendation is:

a) drop your SEO
              b) start again with a new domain.

All you have with your current domain is lots of spammy links and a spammy website. If I were you I'd start again and do it cleanly the next time.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts Mike. If you are right about the text being hidden I have just waisted a lot of time and money and will not be a happy bunny
                Could you elaborate on the spammy link bit, I'm not sure what you mean or where the spammy links are?
                Thanks

Comment

If you look at the backlinks to your site the vast majority are from poor quality sites that have no relevance to what you sell.

http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com...F&bwm=i&bwms=p

There are lots of links from sites and pages on things like 'car selling', 'Cleaning equipment', 'Outdoor shops in the Phillipines' (could that last one be any less relevant?).

We all can see that these links are just there to try and boost your sites ranking in Google. The thing is Google can tell this too so they aren't doing you any good and are probably harmful (although Google do deny that anything done externally to your website is likely to harm it).

Mike

Comment

OK Mike, I got it now.
                    About 8 months ago I signed up (and paid up) for hundreds of backlinks thinking it was a good thing to do. I didn't realise that if the backlinks were not relevant it may in fact damage my google ranking. Crappy free non relevent backlinks is what I probably ended up with. Hey ho, you live and learn.
                    The seo company I am now dealing with are building backlinks to established and relavent websites at a rate that is acceptable to google. I believe it is something like 40 per month.
                    Thanks again Mike for taking the time to explain a few things to me and to point out possible problems with my website, it is much appreciated.
                    Pete

Comment

I also agree with Mike in that all that text hidden inside a class display:none is just asking for trouble. http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=66353

Rather create some brochure pages and make valid use of the text for your vistors and SEs.

Comment

Do you think the three routes back to the homepage are damaging my google ranking?
                        I have a home page link on the top bar, a home link on the footer and another link saying "women's sexy lingerie UK" that also links back to the home page from the footer. It's the latter I am particularly worried about.

Comment

I think your links to your home page are normal. If you're not taking on board what the guys up there ^^^^ are saying, yours is a lost cause. Engineering you say? Sounds like a great job. Stick to what you know.
                          Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Hi guccij,
                            I have been in engineering for more years than I care to remember and need a change in direction but thanks for the advice.
                            Not sure why you think I would choose to invest pound after pound and hour after hour into a new venture, then ask for help from actinic experts such as Mike and drounding and not take their advice on board.
                            Fraid guccij I have been in business (succesfully)far to long to ignore this type of valuable help. I did not ask for help just to ignore it guccij. But thanks for the link reasurance, I was worried that the "women's sexy lingerie uk" link back to my homepage in particular was a no no.
                            Pete

Comment

Going back to the original keywords you wanted to optimise for - these are phrases that would get visitors to your front page, but more important than that is to get visitors landing on product specific pages, thus my previous comment to make sure you optimise each page for the product on it.

Ironically yesterday I was trying to install a CMS in the small folder as actinic - I messed up my directoryindexes and couldnt get the site to respond to index.html rather than index.php.

I have to say the orders on the site were the same as any other day, ie the absence of a front page had very little difference on the order and visitor level.

Comment

Working...
                              X