Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site Review needed if you get a chance

Hi Guys,

Ive always resisted asking for a site review on here, mainly to stop my ego being crushed, but i am now over that, and wonder if i could ask what you guys think.

Sales have been steady on the site mainly through google, but have dropped off significantly over the past couple of months. I dont know if its something I have done or something about the site, but would welcome any honest advice and criticism about the site so i can get it on the road to recovery.

If i can help by providing you with more information then i would only be too willing to... i have created the site myself and written it based on a long time ago course in html, and have some basic IT knowledge, so if something is complicated, please treat me like an idiot!!..i wont be offended

The website is http://www.garfieldsnow.com

Thanks in advance

James
    James Furnival
    Garfield Snow

James, its very early, and I clicked on the link to take an initial look.
    I was surprised at the delays downloading a couple of pictures,

I Use FireFox and have the addon called "web developer" installed, I click on the "show image file size" options and was surprised at some of the file sizes.

the dartington crystal image is 1247kb whereas the lego image is just 48kb - you may need to take a look "some time" at your image sizes.

one quick last thought, you have to continually drill down to find prices, and to actually purchase, the end result being lots of "clicks" to get to the products, perhaps bring the "buy now" and "prices" on to section pages as well, there are quite a few people who simply compare prices and they won't be bothered if they have t click, click, clik

when you do drill down, frequently, the only thing thats different on the physical product page is the price and the ability to order, the words and images are the same on the section page as the product page, example - "jelly belly beans"

I also saw that youv'e also upset something on the ballons page, you have "NETQUOTEVAR:BROCHURE_TITLE" in there
    just my immediate two penneth very early in the morning.

kev

Comment

The answer to the question about sales dropping off really depends on whether the number of visitors to your site has dropped off at the same time.

In terms of the site review:

1. The front page is too large and slow. I'd get rid of all the animated images as all they do is distract the eye and slow down the page.

Google now includes page loading time as a ranking factor and your page is going to rate somewhere near the bottom on this aspect.

2. A lot of the sections are pretty boring. Just a sterile photo and no text. They don't really look very appealing (and thereby encourage people to click and look at the details) and won't rank well either. You also need to make the text more relevant, mix it up a bit and not say the same thing all the time.

3. Photo's on the whole could be better. http://www.garfieldsnow.com/acatalog...rk_Votive.html is an example where you could easily create an interesting, imaginative photo of it in use rather than a lump of glass with a tea light. People are looking for nice things to buy as a gift. You need to trigger a thought in them that says "Ooh, that's nice".

4. In terms of SEO. I'd move 'Garfield Snow' after the product name in the page title, add some H1 and H2 tags to the key phrases, and get some more external links.

5. You need to tidy up some of the 'details' too. The header says free delivery over £30. The T&Cs say Free delivery over £25. Which is it? Consistency is key to keeping customer confidence.

Overall, the site isn't bad and should do quite nicely of you sort out the issues we'll raise here.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Try out YSlow/Smush.it to reduce your image sizes.

Comment

re:replies

Hi All,

Many Thanks to you all for taking the time to have a look and give me some advice on my site...

i'm going to sit down and have a look at the potential changes you mentioned...some of which I had thought were issues, but am glad you confirmed them for me as well.

I really appreciate you doing this for me

If i get stuck...i may be back for further advice, but will give it a go!!

James
          James Furnival
          Garfield Snow

Comment

Working...
          X