Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor results in searches

Hi,

So here we go, another amateur digging a hole for themselves, building their own site. But if you don’t try I guess you never learn. (Even if you only learn to stop )

So I loaded up Actinic and fiddled about a bit and managed to build the site. (More to add but it’s coming along)

Been looking here on the forum for posts on getting the site recognised by Google etc. - and done that, have Google merchant account, the site is recognised OK, but if I search for one of the products we carry we never come up. Well maybe we do - I got fed up looking after page 22!!!

So how can I get us recognised? I have run some Google ads, and got a bit of traffic, but the money clicked away pretty fast.

I have added some links to other sites, but don’t really know how to get anyone to link to me. OK I added a page on Facebook, but I am at a loss to know what to do next.

Any advice appreciated.

D

www.thebabystudio.co.uk

With our new sites we always used adwords for a few weeks at a nominar rate of a couple of quid a day and about 18p per click. seemed to work by getting google to spider every few days
    Chris Ashdown

Comment

You need to look at the keyword text you are using on the site. Take the first section as an example

"Travel System" .... what? I was looking to buy a vintage AEC double decker bus but could not find it. What is wrong with "Prams & Buggies"

You don't mention baby or children or kids in the product descriptions

You have a bit of extra text but this is buried on a more info button. You would do better to place all this against the product and have each product on its own page (1 product per section)

The only mention of "baby" which I assume would be in most of the searches used to find you only appears twice on the homepage and then not as part of a keyword rich phrase such as "best value baby buggies"

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

It would probably be worth attending the next Actinic free webinar on search engine optimisation - see my signature link below.

The next one is Wednsday 28th July 2010.

Chris

Comment

Take a look at google webmaster tools, there is a useful tool there where it will analyse a page and tell you what it thinks it is about.

As jont says you need to get into the minds of your purchasers and optimise for the keywords they would use. Start with the obvious such as the productname and 3 or 4 word keyphrases. Get to rank highly on very specific phrases and you will find that more generic phrases will follow

Study what other successful sites do and use this knowledge (don't copy others descriptions though)

Go for one product per page - search here for seo and app for more ideas

Your market is already very competitive and saturated so it will be hard work

Comment

There was a mistake in my post but the iPhone theme won't let me get to it to correct

I meant SPP single product page not app

Comment

Thank you all for those replies. I really appreciate the help.

Regards

D

Comment

Hi Jont,

Thanks for the advice. When you say one product per section, do you mean placing one prdoduct per sub-section? Otherwise I will have every product on the site in a big long list down the side? (wont I?)

I need them grouped like they are now if possible - Travel Systems under a Travel System headiing and strollers/pushchairs under their heading etc. Having them on one page after that would be good, as I noticed myself that hopping around the site following links, sometimes drops you near the destination product, but also half on the next product.

I find the choice of sections, sub sections and fragments etc a bit confusing, there is help on their descriptions, but I couldnt find any good examples of how you can get the best out of them, and which to use. I guess if you have done it before it obvious.

Thanks

D

Comment

There's an SPP and a brochure page tutorial on on my site.

Comment

Before you start optimising, you need to do your keyword research and find the phases that will bring you decent traffic with the least amount of competition (this may put you on the right track - KEI).
                    This will then be the foundation to all the work you do to optimise on-site and off-site.
                    "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions"

Comment

Hi Leehack,

I was really pleased to find the Yahoo search found a product we carry on the second page. However it take me to this statement on my site

The specified product reference (31) couldn't be found.

Please wait for your browser to forward you to the next page or click here.

I note on the actual found line in Yahoo it says this

Travel Systems
                      Travel systems
                      thebabystudio.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?PRODREF=31&NOLOGIN=1 - Cached

I note it says "PRODREF=31" in the Yahoo line, the product is actually product ref 32 is it that the search engine is looking at a local cache that is out of date?

I have been adding subsection pages for each product so the products appear on their own page, dont know if its anything to do with that.

If any one has seen this before please let me know how you fixed it.

Thanks

D

Comment

I ran some google Ads, it helps generate a list of keywords or has a tool that shows a list I cant quite remember which. For example as this is prams, it suggests all the top brands, all the typical names for a pram and some other popular baby product names.

Should I be avoiding these keywords? I assumed I should be using the most popular ones.

Thanks

D

Comment

Working...
                        X