Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Mayday changes - SPP even harder now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Mayday changes - SPP even harder now?

http://searchengineland.com/google-c...-traffic-43054

This change seems to have primarily impacted very large sites with “item” pages that don’t have many individual links into them, might be several clicks from the home page, and may not have substantial unique and value-added content on them. For instance, ecommerce sites often have this structure. The individual product pages are unlikely to attract external links and the majority of the content may be imported from a manufacturer database. Of course, as with any change that results in a traffic hit for some sites, other sites experience the opposite.
    Sounds like SPP is adversely affected by this. Thoughts?
    The Patchwork Rabbit

More of an opportunity than a problem.

Use plenty of unique relevant content and get a few external links.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Surely SPP is fine but I'd be more inclined to be concerned about extended info pages (unless i've read this wrong )

Comment

Phew! Hopefully I read it wrong. It just freaked me out when he said about "individual product pages".
        The Patchwork Rabbit

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
          Surely SPP is fine but I'd be more inclined to be concerned about extended info pages (unless i've read this wrong )
          +1 for me.

Comment

I can't see this being an issue for SPP only for extended info pages. Another negative for using extended info pages instead of SPP.

Comment

Hi
              I must be reading it wrong or missing the point about ext info page.

Could someone point out why ext info page might be effected

Elliott
              Elliott - Weybridge Lights

www.weybridgelights.co.uk

Comment

The external info page normally only has a single internal link to it from the product section pages. A SPP page usually has numerous internal links from navigation throughout the site and will also be in the sitemap by default.

SPP are also much easier to optimise compared with extended info pages.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
                  The external info page normally only has a single internal link to it from the product section pages. A SPP page usually has numerous internal links from navigation throughout the site and will also be in the sitemap by default.

Thank you. That put my mind to rest, as my site is using ext info pages

Elliott
                  Elliott - Weybridge Lights

www.weybridgelights.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post

That raises a point: when I initially set up SPP, I used duplicate products, but I read somewhere here yesterday that is not the right way to do it as it's duplicate content and should be using fragments pointing to the actual product. This is quite an issue for me as each pattern is in at least 3 sections (by designer, theme and craft) so will have at least 2 dupes.

I tried implementing that, but couldn't see a way to make it go automatically (it was just a quick attempt so will have to poke around a bit more).
                    The Patchwork Rabbit

Comment

We use extended info pages but have put in navigation links to all other pages on the site, google has greatly increased the number of internal links it is recording 5,500,000. up from 50k !

The external links have also gone from 600 to around 150K overnight and then down to around 65k, the 600 is way under what we had but I can't see how we have 65k links to our site.
                      Extended info pages we use are still coming up in searches well. For our type of product searched on the group term mpp is doing better for us.

Regards

Nigel
                      Offering a wide range of shade loving plants suitable for the woodland garden. http://www.plantsforshade.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X