Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any thoughts as why Google doesn't find me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any thoughts as why Google doesn't find me?

Hi,
    I have set up a website www.chocolate-world.co.uk and it has been running since July. It is now showing on Yahoo on the first page when you type in Chocolate World but doesn't show on Google at all. If I type chocolate-world.co.uk it asks if I mean chocolate-world.net. It does however pick up if I put in Chocolate World Ltd.

I am completely confused by all of this, I have requested that they Google looks at my site again but don't know how long that will take.

If you could also take a look at the website I would appreciate any feedback. I am not a designer, in fact had not even looked at html until I attended the actinic one day course.

Thanks for your help
    Kay

With a brand new site, you can expect to wait a good few months, if not a year or more before even beginning to put a dent into search results. If you just plonked a site live and Google had you on first page after a month, it wouldn't be much of a challenge and more importantly anything like a page of good search results. Longevity online is a really key factor, much like a known on the high street is. Google doesn't rank sites so quickly, it makes sure they're not 'fly by night' companies for a start

You need to read up on some SEO basics, understand the importance of inward links and quality of your content amongst other things. Read all the site reviews on here and note those points against your site, rest assured 75% of the points will count on your site too.

Read up on SPP too, tutorial on my site, you will almost certainly find that structure the optimum for yours too.

Investigate Googlebase too and get your products listed.

Finally, you might want to learn about adwords, these can prop a site up during the early months, Google have some great tutorials for this.

12 months after you've done that lot, you could well have a really successful site with you never looking back. Fail to do most of that and you're condemning your site to the website graveyard, things are too competitive online for it to be too easy to achieve, there's 50-250 other companies also competing for the same business.

Comment

Hi Kay

I am in the same boat with my new jewellery business. I guess all we can do is to take the advice here on board and be patient. Have you filled in a google profile? Also, you may try submitting your url to search engines.
      You could also join some forums for people with similar businesses and interests as they may have some tips to share.
      Keep us updated as to how you get on

Sarah
      http://www.thecrystalcove.co.uk

Comment

Thank you

Thank you Lee, I have learnt a lot from your article. I knew that I was getting views on a camera page and couldn't work out where the camera was as I thought I had deleted them all, I now know it was a page title. Thanks to you I have now changed all my page titles and made sure that they are relevant and have checked my meta tags again.

You mention the need to have seperate pages for every item, I think I have done that by using extended information, I did try to add more sections, one per product, but it all went a bit screwy, moving my fragments around and losing the text in my section header so I have abandoned that for now.

I shall now endeavour to be patient, keep plugging away the old fashioned method and wait.....

Hi Sarah, I am joining all the forums going, some are great, some involve me trying to weave my company name into conversations about nappies, but I'm getting hits on my website as a result. www.MumsClub.co.uk seems to be the most helpful, Netmums the busiest - are there others I should look at?

Thanks again
        Kay
        www.chocolate-world.co.uk

Comment

Have you done any keyword research? This will be the base to all of your SEO. You need to get a huge list of possible keywords, get search volumes and competition data and work out which ones you will easily rack for with the best traffic (KEI). Then start filtering out the good ones and optimise you site. Remember you can only really optimise a single page with a single term else you will be diluting you results. This is where SPP comes in.
          "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions"

Comment

Hi Kay

I usually like to get involved in forums that are related to my subject, this way you may also find some useful contacts aswell as finding some new potential customers. Im not sure if there are forums related to what you do but its certainly worth investigating!
            http://www.thecrystalcove.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X