Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extended info page found in Google search

Hi

I have tried to find if this has been answered bwfore honest! but if its there I couldnt see it.

I was pleased to see one of my products was coming up on page one of Google, however I was dissapointed to find it was the extended info page, so it shows an image of the product and hitting back just takes you back to the Google search.

So I disable the extended info page, now I have a broken link.

So how do I stop Google finding the extended info pages & how do I make Google forget about the old link.

You can see from the question that I am no expert. Any suggestions appreciated.

Derwent

You need a robots.txt file...... uploaded to your site with ftp.....

Search for instructions then it needs to say something like

Code:
    User-agent: *

Disallow: acatalog/info_*
    see here
    Paul
    Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

You have a result on page 1 of Google, the place that most people spend their life trying to achieve and you want to remove it, in the hope that Google replaces it with another page that you are happy for them to put there? That sounds like a pretty 'out there' plan. Instead of trying to remove a page that has been ranked well (bearing in mind you do not choose which pages are ranked well), why not look to enhance that page instead, so that people can move through your site from it and you can hopefully retain your ranking.

In addition look into why that page ranked well, learn from it and use that for further improvements. If you are going to use extended info pages, it's not a clever idea to block them from being spidered, unless you have some really specific reasons, which it does not sound like you have.

I'm presuming your extended info pages are orphan pages and have no navigation, probably a good idea to get the extended info page layout to look the same as the site and have the page opening within the same window. The KB has instructions on how to do this.

Comment

Yes I agree its great to have the page ranked where it is, but I have just been using the extended info pages for additional images of the product. I didn't realise the page could be changed. (well maybe I did but thought it was beyond me)

I recall I did try opening within the same window once, cant rememebr why I stuck with the default way. I will look at it again.

It is a bit odd that Google ranked the info page as it only has an image of the product. I noticed a few other products have the extended info page ranked higher too. Sometimes the main product page is a bit further down, sometimes not there at all.

Thanks again

Derwent

Comment

Thanks pfb5

I do have a robots.txt up, I hadn't thought about using it for this. I agree with leehack, but there could be occasions when you just want to stop Google indexing a file.

Cheers

Derwent

Comment

Hi

I tried setting extended info to open in the same window, but it still seems to open in a new window. Certainly the whole window fills up with the image or blank space around the image is its a small image.

I can place an add to cart button, but if the customer lingers in the cart they will eventually bounce back to the extended info page and will still be trapped. There are no links available in there to give them something to click on to get out.

I looked at the variable in the design library and it offers a new window or open in the same window, I remember now it not seeming to make any difference when I played with this option before.

What should it look like if it opens in the same window - I assumed the rest of the product page and sidebars would remain but they dont?

Comment

When you replicate your overall layout onto the extended info layout correctly, the page will look like every other page on your site, ie just the central content changes to show what is on the extended info page. leaving all other navigation and sidebar content etc.

Comment

Thanks Lee,

Please can you advise where I look to change the extended info layout to the site layout

Derwent

Comment

If not in the KB as I mentioned in post #3, it will be in the AUG. I've definitely read it on one of them, can't recall which sorry. A forum search may also yield some answers.

In simple terms you need all of the code above INNERLAYOUT of your overall layout to go above the extended info code (in the ext info layout), then you need all the code below INNERLAYOUT to go after the extended info code, so you create a sandwich of:

Above INNERLAYOUT code
                  Extended info code
                  Below INNERLAYOUT code

Comment

Thanks Lee,

A bit beyond me, I'll read up and see if I can get my head around it.

Derwent

Comment

It's definitely in the AUG. Page 86 in the v10 version.
                      Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

guccij & Lee,

Thank you both for your help. Managed to follow the AUG successfully.

Much appreciated

Derwent

Comment

Hi there

I have the exact same problem as Derwent. Did you manage to get it sorted? Also, this may sound dumb but what do you mean by the AUG?
                          http://www.thecrystalcove.co.uk

Comment

Advanced User Guide
                            Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Thanks, i knew it was something like that, feel a bit silly now!
                              http://www.thecrystalcove.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X