Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deep Linking and Navigation

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone had any advice or tips on deep linking?

I've got several departments where to get to the individual SPP it involves about 3 or 4 clicks. These pages are not really showing up very well in the google searches and are certainly not getting any PR.

For instance, someone wanting Boltardy Beetroot Seeds, landing on the home page would need to navigate to Seeds>Vegetable Seeds>Beetroot Seeds and then select the Boltardy Beetroot Seeds SPP, to reach http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk...lls-11723.html.

Whilst I do realise that this is a number of clicks, it does make perfect sense (to me) to list it this way. I think that Google though doesn't like driling down so far.

I didn't want to elevate say Vegetable Seeds to the main menu, shown on the LHS of the home page, as I have a number of other sub-depts that would also need to be elevated. If I did do this I think the results would be better for SEO but just too cluttered and confusing for users, arriving at the home page.

My one thought, other than writing articles on each of these hundreds of products, was to create a new Brochure Page, as these seem to get indexed well and usually pull up a PR of 2, and almost create a site index, which would place these deeper products at just two clicks away from the home page. I could perhaps instead of just producing a page of links to the whole site, add a couple of lines of text next to each link. It does seem a bit of a clumsy way of doing it, as I did see that there seems to be issues with xml sitemaps, but I'm struggling to think of another way to elevate these deeper pages and sub-depts.

I'd be grateful for any advice or if anyone else has had such experience?

Many thanks,

Dan
    The Garden Superstore - No1 for Plant Pots and Gardening Supplies.

Hi Dan.

I would say you've structured your site well. It suits your users and nothing is more than a few clicks from the home page.

The issue of how to promote sub-sections and deep pages is a constant challenge but I wouldn't create new brochure pages to target this. All that does is create two sets of pages you have to try and promote rather than one.

I would suggest two things:

1. Put a link to your sitemap on all your pages. It gives a little boost to all your deep pages.

2. At the end of the day there's a limit to what you can do about this on-site. The most effective thing to do is to get some external links straight to those sub-sections / products. It does take a little effort but if it didn't everybody else would be doing it and you'd be no better off.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to this.

Your comments are appreciated. I don't have a sitemap on the website at present, I had read some negative things on other posts about them, especially the .xml sitemaps. Perhaps I should take a look at this agin.

I will definately work on getting some external links to the deeper sud-depts.

Thanks again Mike.

Dan

Comment

Hi Dan,

I wouldn't bother with the xml sitemaps but sellerdeck automatically creates a sitemap page that links to all the pages in your site. All it really does is create a shortcut to the pages for the search engines but it does help prevent them from being hidden away. You just need to make sure you have a link to your sitemap page in your outer design. Most commonly at the bottom of the page.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hiya Mike,

Just read your reply, and had literally been doing just that! Spooky.

That is great advice, I've just added a link, at the bottom of the Home Page, and ergo all others, to the actinic sitemap.html page. Hopefully if it gets indexed, it will put all pages just two clicks away.

Can't think why I didn't think of doing this before.

Just some deep linking articles to do next!

Thanks agin for you help Mike, you are a brick!

Regards,

Dan

Comment

Working...
          X