Google & Extended Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google & Extended Info

On my existing live site (V11) I have product listing pages: single product page: extended info page. The product page contains a brief description, and the extended info page is a pop-up with full details (ingredients, nutrition information, allergens, etc).

I am planning on my new site in V2013 to cut out the brief description page, so that a customer clicks on a product on the listing page (forced to do so as will have no Add to Cart) and get the full details, my having moved the contents of the extended info page to the brief description, so no extended info page. This both cuts down on the number of clicks, and also forces the customer to see the full details, as at present many do not click (somebody just rang while I was typing this to ask if a product contained any wheat, one of many such calls).

However, I have just thought of a hitch, that the redundant extended info pages may now produce error codes where Google has cached them previously. Any ideas of best way round this? Should I keep the extended page existing, with no links to it, perhaps with just an image and a Back button, to prevent the error? Or better still, I am thinking while typing, I keep a copy of the full details on there, but with no links to it from the product page, as that will be better for Google results. Will that work?

Sarah

Two pages the same content may be seen as duplicate content. You could use extended information to show a larger product image. Or use 301 redirects. For add to cart on your listing page you could add that. Or if you use sections there is an bug in 12.0.1 see here.
    Peblaco

Comment

Thanks

I think I'll do the product image route rather than re-direct, though the redirect may have some advantages as you say.

I didn't realise that there was a bug - hadn't noticed anything wrong. I had intentionally removed the Add to Cart and description (other than title) from the section product listing page, so that it is like such pages on popular well known websites, such as Debenhams, M & S, etc, so that people realise that it is just a listing and you have to click on a product to get its own page and details. It is important that customers realise this, as we offer flavour options of products, and if the customer wants to order a number of flavours of the same product, as is often the case, they are taken back to the same individual page to do so without having to find the product again in a listing.

Sarah

Comment

If you removed options that is different and that bug wouldn't apply.
        Peblaco

Comment

Working...
        X