shipping by weight/components Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shipping by weight/components Q

I use shipping by weight although I genereally charge "per item" as it's worked out.

I have a few items (pyjamas separates) that are available to order as separates (top, shorts, trousers) or as a set (choosing one top, one bottom)

Shipping is set that 1kg = £2 (my starter shipping price) and so all my products have a default weight of 1kg.

In order to maintain stock ( ) I have the weight of the separates set as .5kg so that the 2 components for the pyjama set charges the standard £2 shipping

I have a similar thing with my calendars and diaries which has stickers available as add-ons but also available separately.

It kinda messes up the single unit shipping a bit doing it this way though.
    So, my question is this, Is there a way to have a product with choices/associated products set up as "Sum of component prices" for the pricing...but use it's OWN weight for shipping purposes and ignore the weight of the associated products?

I hope that makes sense..I can obviously clarify if needed!
    Thanks
    Tracey

Minimum shipping charge = £2
    Maximum still £3?

I understand why you are putting in 0.5kg, but you do not need to get them to total to 1kg, all you need to do is to get it to break out of the previous band. 0.01kg does the same.

Comment

maximum (for uk) is £4.
      so 1kg (1 item) is £2
      2kg (2 items) is £3
      3kg+ (3 items or more) is £4

(this is my UK table anyway...the EU one varies slightly)

I'm just struggling trying to get my head around how to charge a "single item" shipping price for something with 2 or more components that are available separately, other than the way I've done it.
      Tracey

Comment

And the complication is because you cannot take the weight off the components as they are also products in their own right?

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
          And the complication is because you cannot take the weight off the components as they are also products in their own right?
          exactly

As it stands..I have the main product (the pyjama SET) ticked as Exclude from shipping calculation so it adds up the component weights.

What I could really do with is the ability to "override component weight" or something on the main product.
          Tracey

Comment

I really need to know the product in question, the choices available and the associated costs for each combo of those choices to be sure, but i think that your combination needs to be:

Main product (with other products as choices also) = 0.01kg
            Components to add to the main product need to have 0.99kg split between them.

Comment

this is kind of how I have it set up already.
              It works as it is, for the most part but occasionally, when someone buys the "component" products, the shipping is undercharged because they've been allocated lower weights and 2 of them don't add up to the 2 item weight/price.

I'll give an example.

Items as separates. THIS PRODUCT and the 2 below it

Pyjama top. £5 weight 0.5kg
              Pyjama Trousers £10. Weight 0.5kg
              Pyjama Shorts £8 Weight 0.5kg

Main Pyjama set.

Prices discounted for buying as a set..and obviously cheaper because only paying shipping for ONE item, rather than TWO except obviously (although the customer won't know this) it'd charge the same even if they bought separately because of my weight set up!

The problem I have is that customers can buy 2 pairs of trousers, for example, and because my weight is set at 0.5kg, they only get charged a single item shipping price

See my problem?
              Tracey

Comment

Main product at 0.49kg, components at 0.51kg?

Comment

that would only work with one component though.
                  my pyjamas (which are made solely of components) would then have a weight of 1.51kg which would incur the "2 item" shipping.

Unless, I set the pyjamas up using the top as the main product...and the trousers or shorts as an additional component? using "sum of product and component prices"?

hmmm...thinking out loud now..but that way I could allocate a higher weight to the trousers and shorts.

oh no..that won't work..because the top is already a main product with associated (hidden) products for colour choice.
                  I'd still have to add associated products to it somewhere.. and these products need weights..

I'm getting in a muddle now..
                  Tracey

Comment

Much as I like shipping by weight, would it not be easier in this instance to use shipping by quantity? Does that work properly for items with components?

Mike
                    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by budgetbumps
                      my pyjamas (which are made solely of components) would then have a weight of 1.51kg which would incur the "2 item" shipping
                      If Pyjamas have to be made up of components, why can't all of the weight come in via the components? Why weight on the product too?

Comment

Thanks, Mike
                        I am using shipping by weight mostly because there are some items in my store that having shipping restrictions on them. some items that aren't available for overseas shipping, for example, and so have weights outside of the overseas shipping limits to allow for this.

Admittedly the shipping in V8 can handle heavier items I have by using a surcharge...but the weight option seemed more versatile generally

I'll give it some thought though.
                        Tracey

Comment

Working...
                        X