limiting shipping options depending on product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

limiting shipping options depending on product

odd one this .. but does anyone have any idea how I might achieve the following scenario :-

Product 1 can be sent by insured courier or by post (it's a small part and a jiffy bag is an option .. it's not insured and it just gets dropped in a postbox at end of play each night) the buyer is presented with an option for either with corresponding difference in shipping cost.

Product 2 can be sent only by insured courier .. it's bigger and heavier and more valuable. The only option presented to the buyer is for insured courier.

Buyer decides to buy Product 1 and Product 2 in the same order. Product 2 thus takes priority (because it's big and heavy etc.,), Product 1 gets added into the package to piggy-back the delivery and insured courier is the only option presented to the buyer.

I provide a 'fixed-charge regardless of order size' for stuff going out with insured courier to the UK (though stuff to Ireland has some weight calculation stuff going on as I use a different courier for Irish delivery) and would probably create a 'fixed postage rate' for the jiffy bag moments too.

any thoughts welcome

I would normally do this using shipping by weight.

Then all you have to do is give items that need special handling a heavy weight (e..g 100kg) and then set up everything around that. Any other items won't affect that, so the shipping table will use whatever's been defined for the 'heavy' item.

V8 may have more flexibility, But I haven't used that yet.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

V8 may have more flexibility
      It does - lots

Comment

mm ..

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Mike (it never fails to impress how quickly I get answers when I'm stuck).

I suppose I could do that if i only shipped to the UK, but any idea how I would get around the shipping which currently increments when something is shipped to Ireland (I have three or four bands of cost for delivery there and that is based already on the weight ..)

Comment

The same principle ought to apply for overseas shipping tables as well. You just set them up so that the courier only items have an additional weight build in to shift them up to a different shipping class.

If this doesn't work for you then have a read around the new shipping features in V8 and make a first pass attempt to get it to work. If you run into problems then there are plenty of folk here who will help you with specific issues.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

thanks

I'll have a play .. thanks again.

David

Comment

Working...
            X