Too many shipping costs!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many shipping costs!

Here's one that could mean a lot of work which I'd rather avoid if possible...

A client sends a lot of magazines overseas, and I have Printed Paper rates set up separately for Europe and Rest if the World based on the Royal Mail chart, which have individual weights/prices every 20g up to 0.5kg, then 10p per 20g thereafter. However, it needs to be capped at 5kg as that's the max for that service, which would mean entering all 200 charges for the 20g increments up to 5kg.

As this means me entering 400 weights/prices now, then the client or me changing it in April when the charges will undoubtedly go up, I'd rather find a more condensed way of charging.

It might be an impossible setup, or I could be due for a brain transplant, which is it?

Malcolm
    ¤ The world wide web needn't cost the earth
    ¤ ARTISAN INTERNET LTD
    ¤ www.artinet.co.uk

Why not just create tiers and move 10 bands (or so) into one, do you really need to do every single weight?

You can also do a shipping export/import.

Comment

Cheers Lee. That's something I was going to suggest to the client, I agree that looks like the most sensible way to do it, but I wondered (without much hope!) if anyone had found a solution previously.
      ¤ ARTISAN INTERNET LTD
      ¤ www.artinet.co.uk

Comment

The 5kg cap is your problem, really easy without that. If the products only weigh that much, is the 5kg cap in real jeopardy of being used? You could always use 'optimal weight' and set that at 5kg, so it'd start charging all over again, in fact i think that is your solution, you get everything you want then.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
          The 5kg cap is your problem, really easy without that.
          Yep, that's the bit that's causing the problem, I've been try to think so laterally that I ended up in the house next door at one point

If the products only weigh that much, is the 5kg cap in real jeopardy of being used? You could always use 'optimal weight' and set that at 5kg, so it'd start charging all over again, in fact i think that is your solution, you get everything you want then.
          I've just spoken to the client and he's happy for me to make the weight/price increments much larger, so they'll be 0.5kg apart so I can take them up to 5kg, and not allow excess on that class. I can then add a Parcel Force International class for weights over 5kg... that's the theory at this stage, anyway, I'll find out if it works after I've set it up

Malcolm
          ¤ ARTISAN INTERNET LTD
          ¤ www.artinet.co.uk

Comment

If he has no problem with a customer making one big order but being split into 2 x 5kg parcels by the system via the optimal weight feature, you can do that also.

Comment

Lee we spoke about looking at shipping the other week and i completely forgot about it.

do you still fancy trying various ways to crack it and recording it on the forum. I know its the weekend and no rush but my test site is comming on but i need to decide what i am planning to do next, so with this redesign stuffed with products i thought it would be a good site to test it on, besides if it fails i just import shipping from another site, and i have no completion dates either, maybe sometime this year

let me know if your interested
              D

Comment

Fine by me Darren, we can do it as a case study, see if it can be cracked, if not how close can we get and what do you have to compromise etc.

Comment

Sounds good to me just say the word, i intend to cheat by editing the database directly to change product stuff so it should speed things up

Do you have a test site anywere, i can send you my shipping tables as we go if you like.

Mind you perhaps a new thread Sorry Malcolm

D

Comment

No need for any files Dazza, if we do it as a case study, you detail what you need to do and the pitfalls you are coming up against and i will then try and solve it by replying. That way people might be able to relate it to their problems with shipping. You then have a go at setting up what I've said and let us know if it works. If not, why not etc.

In fact forget the Me or the I, lets do it as a case study and all can join in with ideas. I know its been massively improved on the shipping front, it may help to illustrate some of the features and possibilities between us. I know you can't get what you want, i think we might be able to crack it for you.

As for when, anytime no preference for me.

Comment

LOL - no worries Darren, now that the client's allowed me to enlarge the increments and it's all in one class, the problem's solved
                      ¤ ARTISAN INTERNET LTD
                      ¤ www.artinet.co.uk

Comment

Well i will grab a few mins and stumble on over and layout out what im trying to achive, i have some ideas and recon it will work, but there maybe other better ways of doing it.

right descriptive thread title, i thought about "Shipping the final frontier", but decided "Restricting Products to Particular Shipping Methods" would probably be better

D

Comment

Working...
                        X