Location problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Location problems

Hi, I seem to have a problem with setting up locations and Shipping. Heres what I want the customer to be able to choose:

A list of Areas which they can pick from (charged at £14)
    Rest of UK Mainland (Charges at 25)
    Collect from Branch A (free)
    Collect from Branch B (free)

What i thought was the best way of doing this is via Locations, so I removed all countries and Setup United Kingdom with the list of Areas - i.e Bath, Bristol etc and also Added Rest of UK Mainland (as a county). Im not sure if this is the best way....also when after entering 'Rest of UK Mainland) if I go back into locations its gone!

Can anyone advise...is it me or Actinic going strange?
    Web design Bradford

How many areas?

Comment

39 areas/counties
      Web design Bradford

Comment

Hmm, i think you are in grave danger of making a key area of your site over-complicated, can you slim down the numbers, confusion at checkout is a really bad idea. Try and slim down to max 10 areas and set these up as countries IMO.

Comment

Wish I could make it simple, Mr Client wants it like this even though I have explained. Do you think Its a database problem (location dissapearing?)... snapshot to Actinic Support?

So this is what Im trying in Location at the moment:

UK > Area
          Area
          Area
          Area
          Rest of UK

Then I hit ok, publish, look at the list and 'Rest of UK' is not there. If I go back to Locations its gone.
          Web design Bradford

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a character or word limit on states in Locations?
            Web design Bradford

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenSpink View Post
              I'm not sure what it is exactly, but I was receiving "right truncated string" errors and couldn't make any changes in business settings for a while.

I knew it was a database error, but couldn't track it down, I sent the Snapshot to actinic and they eventually tracked it down to a long location entry.

Perhaps someone from Actinic can comment?

This is the longest entry I have at the moment (Country not State):

Heard and McDonald Islands

It's standard Actinic, so if you stay below that, 26 characters, you should be okay.

Army Gore-tex
              Winter Climbing Mitts
              webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
              Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

I could enter up to 120 characters without getting any problems. The abbreviations are limited to 5 characters.

Do you think Its a database problem (location dissapearing?)... snapshot to Actinic Support?
                It sounds likely to me, so yes, please contact support for further investigation.
                Tracey
                SellerDeck

Comment

Thanks tracy, just sorted this very moment.

Basically I deleted all of them and started again, now its fine.
                  Web design Bradford

Comment

Working...
                  X