Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping Charges linked to Post Codes

Hi all,

I have had a look through the various issues and discussions on this subject and not seen a definitive answer yet.

Is it possible to set the Shipping Charge in Actinic V9 based upon the customers' Post Codes ??

Example:

Supplier to Sussex Customer Delivery is £5.00

Customer in Aberdeen enters their correct address and then chooses Sussex Delivery to avoid paying the charge to Scotland [£12.00].

The supplier is not discriminating against Scotland Customers but the Couriers charge a lot more for the north of Scotland.

Please advise somebody......??

TonyM.

I don't think you can set it by postcode.

The best way is to create a number of regions / Zones and set the shipping using that.

See this article in the Knowledge Base http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=45282

Mike
    Last edited by KB2; 22-Mar-2010, 11:33 AM. Reason: Updating kb links
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. Would using Regions and Zones force the user to select the correct ones ??

Currently giving the user the option to choose the shipping method allows them to "cheat" the charging system.

T.

Comment

It wouldn't force the user to select the right region / zone but it does have a couple of advantages over what I think you currently have:

1. The customer has to select their region right at the start of checkout before they get to the shipping phase.

2. The shipping charges aren't shown at the point they select their region so the incentive to try and cheat the system isn't there at the time of selection.

I'm sure you'll still get some people who try and cheat but it will be far fewer because they won't be sitting there thinking "Oh, I wonder what happens if I choose this cheaper option? Oh look. It seems happy so I'll just leave it like that."

Mike

Comment

we have the same problem, 99% of people do select the correct delivery options, those that dont find there order gets held and a phone call asking them to agree to the additional charges, if they dont accept we cancel.

If im honest its the guy spending the small amount that always selects the wrong one, nearly all say the "website did it automatically" - which translates as i thought i would get away with it or i dont read anything infront of me

i have been asking for the shipping to be looked at for a while now (at least two years), there are a few things we could really do with this is one and the other is excluding products from particular shipping methods, there is a wish list for this somewere

Comment

Hi Darren,

Totally agree with all you say there. We are finding people from all over the UK are selecting "Sussex Delivery" because it is lower price than Bristol/Birmingham/Cardiff/Aberdeen etc.,

Your second point about excluding certain products from some methods would be extremely useful also.

T.

ps., thanks for your comments Mike - I'll have a look at that bit later.

Comment

OK. I've thought about this a litle bit.

1. AFAIK there are no plans for Actinic to implement postcode based shipping charges.

2. A simple solution would be to create 124 regions with one for each Postcode Area (i.e. AB, NW, YO, etc). This could still be bypassed though as there's nothing to stop a customer choosing one region at this stage and entering a different postcode in their address.

3. It should be relatively easy (for someone who knows what they're doing) to modify the checkout scripts to look at the delivery postcode and set the region based on the postcode area. This would need manual editing to align the postcode areas with the regions you're using.

It could be something as simple as a big if / elseif construct with a few lines to set the region to to the result.

If you want something like this then your best bet is probably to contact Norman Rouxel via the forum or his website here http://www.drillpine.biz/

Mike

Comment

ok this was the thread i first had problems with it, funny the wish list thread no longer exists, well i tried bloody hard to find it but it is not there anymore

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=28181

Comment

this thread is the same as what you asked for http://community.actinic.com/showthr...013#post190013

Comment

I've posted a reply in that thread.

Mike

Edit: Darren's first link about shipping by weight and category.

Comment

Hi again Guys,

I checked with the PCA people to see if their address checking software could do this. Their reply:

"The only possibility I could suggest is to look at coding in a delivery cost based on the county returned by the PCA call."

So, it looks like a none starter until AC build this into a future release of the product.

Thanks to all, T.

Comment

Shipping Charges linked to Post Codes

Hi all,

Have any of you been able to do the following ??

We have a problem with AC not having an option to link a customers address to a shipping charge.

We need to set the Shipping Charge in Actinic V9 based upon the customers' Post Codes - Example:
                        Supplier to Sussex Customer Delivery is £5.00
                        Customer in Aberdeen enters their correct address and then chooses Sussex Delivery to avoid paying the charge to Scotland [£12.00].

The general consensus in the forum so far is no - AC cannot do this currently - and one suggestion was to modify the checkout script with possibly a big if / elseif construct with a few lines to set the shipping region to to the result.

We are finding that many customers are seeing this as a way to cheat the system and not pay the correct shipping charges.

Any ideas ??

TonyM.

New thread merged into this one as the same subject.

Comment

Rather than mess about with the checkout script with all the potential for disaster that involves, I'd suggest you go right back to basics and revisit your shipping charges themselves.
                          You might want to even charges out across the board, so that all UK delivery charges are the same. This would mean that someone in Sussex pays more than they do at present, and someone in Scotland pays less.
                          If the service is good, then the Sussex person is unlikely to complain. They're not going to know the true cost anyway.
                          For example, I'm shipping something to Shapinsay today (one of the Orkney islands). The shipping cost is the same for that customer as it is for another customer who lives 5 miles away.
                          It all evens out over time.
                          Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Thank you Jules,

Good suggestion and in the short term I suppose that is the best option. I have forwarded the request as a "Wishlist" item to AC. Hope someone is looking at the issue as it would be good to have the charges worked out automatically in a future release.

T.

Comment

Happy to Pay Someone!

To add to this:

Just sent this off to Norman at Drillpine but he was unable to help me:

Australia, being a fairly large country, has a HUGE range of freight charges. This is now complicated by the fact that I want to offer a choice of Aus Post or Courier...For example local deliveries cost me $5 up to 25kg...But that same delivery to remote Western Australia would cost me around $120!

I want customers to be able to enter their postcode (checkout page 1) and the next page offers their freight costs (which are weight calculated and would be either courier / Aus Post / pickup in store...

I can set up the charges on an excel sheet for each of the postcodes and for each of the weight breaks...and would then need to have this imported into Actinic or the website. Would then need Actinic changed so that on page one of the checkout it does NOT include freight charges and instead of asking for a State / Area (as our site does) it simply asks for a postcode...Page 2 of the checkout then offers the drop down list of freight options as it does now.

Appreciate this has been talked through ad nauseum in the forum but am at a point where I need to get this sorted. Any chance you can please let me know how much it would cost for you to put this together for us :-)

Unfortunately Norman cannot work on this one...Is there anyone out there who can put this together - or let me know how much it would be. From the look of the forum there would be considerable interest in such a fix so perhaps cost could be shared or it could be developed with the aim that it could be onsold time and again? Perhaps I am missing something here as it has not been done already but as per the posts above I am totally OVER customers entering the wrong shipping area when checking out

Comment

Working...
                              X