Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stopping a product shippping to just one country, allowing all others

Hi,

On our website http://shop.belgianshop.com, we sell the Cote d'Or chocolates produced in Belgium.

We just received a letter from Kraft (USA) , forbidding us to sell the products produced in Belgium to USA.

Is there a method to ensure that American citizens can not buy these products, but well other customers? How to prevent U.S. customers order these products? And this without affecting other customers.

Thank you very much,

Bruno

Just restrict delivery options ie do not deliver to the US.

This will fulfill Kraft objections, assuming they are correct to force this but this will allow people in the US to order for delivery elsewhere in the world

Comment

Are you reeally selling enough to worry Kraft?

What reason did they give you justifying their letter?

Army Gore-tex
      Winter Climbing Mitts
      webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
      Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

to Pinbrook: where can I change the option? I have to tell you that I want to continue to propose all our other items to American peopel.

to WebD: yes, the quantities delivered in USA are important. And Kraft company doesn't want that we continue because the Cote d'Or chocolates produced in USA are not produced with the same ingredients than in Belgium. And, of course, we take also a part of the business of the USA distributors.

Comment

You could probably get away with just adding a note on the product page saying - not available in the US.
          Unless Kraft did a test order they would never know.
          Unusual Silver Jewellery
          Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
          Crystal Healing Jewellery
          Steampunk Jewellery

Comment

I have to tell you that I want to continue to propose all our other items to American peopel.
            Sorry i didnt pick this up from your first post.

I dont think you can. You may have to go with Andy's suggestion, place a message asking people not to order, and then refunding if they do.

Unless anyone knows otherwise

Comment

Put a weight against that product that cannot ship to the USA but can to everywhere else, simple. If they try to order it and choose USA it will fall foul of the shipping tables and they won't be able to.

Comment

If I increase the weight, the new weight will be the same for the US costumers than for the other customers. So, the shipping costs will also increase for the customers outside the USA. For me, it's not the good solution.

Comment

I can assure you that it is the solution and it would work 100% guaranteed, as long as that weight is catered for on the non-USA tables. It is actually a very simple way to do it.

Comment

I think that with this method, I'll will lost ALL my eventual buyers of Cote d'Or chocolates. So, it will be better to hide the "Cote d'Or" section in my store.

Comment

Well you need to make a decision whether you with 93 posts and the one asking for help feel that you know more than an actinic designer with over 13,000 posts to his name. Once you realise how easy it is to evaluate that particular choice, you will perhaps realise that trying the solution or at least hearing the solution is the best course of action.

I repeat, IF ONLY the USA tables fail with the weight, BUT ALL OTHERS cater for that weight in their tables, it will without question work. Think of it this way, if that product has 1000kg added against it and the USA cannot ship anything that is 1000kg +, they cannot buy that product in the USA, period. However if all other tables have their bands adjusted by 1000Kg, then they will allow it to be bought. The 1000Kg is just an example figure to highlight the method, that can in fact be any weight that could never be reached by your shoppers.

It will probably be a quicker thing for you to setup, than it will to argue that it wouldn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                        Well you need to make a decision whether you with 93 posts and the one asking for help feel that you know more than an actinic designer with over 13,000 posts to his name. Once you realise how easy it is to evaluate that particular choice, you will perhaps realise that trying the solution or at least hearing the solution is the best course of action.

I repeat, IF ONLY the USA tables fail with the weight, BUT ALL OTHERS cater for that weight in their tables, it will without question work. Think of it this way, if that product has 1000kg added against it and the USA cannot ship anything that is 1000kg +, they cannot buy that product in the USA, period. However if all other tables have their bands adjusted by 1000Kg, then they will allow it to be bought. The 1000Kg is just an example figure to highlight the method, that can in fact be any weight that could never be reached by your shoppers.

It will probably be a quicker thing for you to setup, than it will to argue that it wouldn't work.
                        One word of caution. I'm not sure what "bands adjusted by 1000kg means" (perhaps it refers to a feature in a newer version of Actinic than the one we have)- simply setting a specific band for weights over 1000kg? But at any rate we used a not dissimilar method to the latter as a workaround to limitations so that we could provide free shipping on certain products.

While it worked, it was a bit fiddly, made the site just a *bit* (*) harder to maintain (you have to remember why the weight bands are set up a particular way), and limited how we could set up the weights in the future (without removing the free shipping or implementing it differently).

I really don't see that there would be a major problem with the OP simply adding a note to each product stating that it could not be shipped to the USA. However, if the OP isn't happy with that, your solution sounds like it would work...

(*) Such changes generally aren't a problem on their own, but if you use more than a few of them- and it always seems straightforward at the time- you can soon end up with an installation that's quite complex and paint yourself into a corner.

Edit: Then again, looking at the dates on the previous messages (6 months ago), I'm not sure that my feedback is of relevance to the OP now. Guess this is a slow-moving subforum.
                        Last edited by DiskDepot; 22-Sep-2010, 01:40 PM. Reason: Acknowledged that was replying to rather old message.
                        - DD

Inkjet Printer Ink Cartridges
                        DVD-R, CD-R, BD-R and Accessories

Comment

I have items I don't want to ship to the USA.

I use the alternative weight field and base the shipping off that.

Items i don't want to ship to the USA have a silly weight entered.

Assuming you have a shipping table set up just for the USA and not a general oversea shipping price.

You'll need to enter the alternative weight for all items.

Items sent using the basic ship weight are unaffected.

Comment

Working...
                          X