X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

County Shipping Question

Hi All,

A Friday afternoon question

I am currently setting up a shop (V10) that will ship its products to only the UK Mainland. England / Scotland / Wales

So, I have set up these 3 countries in Settings - Locations - with the counties as States for each of these.

In the Shipping section of the Business settings, I have set up the first class, second class and a special class.

This is all fine and this will all work.

But, the client wants to provide Free shipping for 1 particular County, the county that they are in.

So, apart from having 4 "Countries" England, Scotland, Wales, Local - with the county in the local country and then assigning this country free shipping, something that would be confusing for the customers to figure out..... What would be the best way of sorting this out ?

Cheers for any enlightenment

Ah - May be onto something in the Zones and classes..... - will upload and see if this works...

Comment

You will need to set the county up as a country and you are then relying on the customer selecting that as their country. The class can be setup as a free shipping on the properties window.

Comment

I was afraid of that Lee

Any other more user friendly way we can work around this?

Comment

I'm afraid not buddy, not as far as I know anyway, there's no auto facility to detect a county and correlate it to a class.

Comment

As mentioned in another post - it would seem that I cant set it up such that I set the county that has free shipping is a Country.

As this then stuffs up the Sagepay.

Any further flashes of enlightenment anyone has had about how I can set shipping to be free for a particular county?

Comment

Dump sagepay would be my first suggestion, unless you insist on being one of the last rats on that ship, if so, then i can only see setting up a 'local delivery' shipping class within your UK zone and relying on people to select it correctly as an option.

Comment

I agree with Lee. Set up 2 delivery classes:

1. Standard UK
                2. Local - Devon* Only

* For example

Let the customers choose the right one.

Some customers will choose the wrong one, that's life. You could use some javascript to test the county they've entered in the address field and throw up an error message where needed along the lines of 'The Local delivery service is only available to addresses in Devon. This doesn't match the county you've entered in your address'. This would catch most of the errors.

Mike
                -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thanks guys - will give that a go

Comment

Just a quick question - do I still have to have just 1 country, and then make 3 Provinces (being England, Scotland, Wales). If so, where do I put the Counties?

Comment

You'll only need the three different shipping zones if you're going to charge different amounts for each of the countries.

Mike

Comment

So, in Locations, ditch the counties altogether - as Sagepay/Actinic cant handle 3 countries for UK

Cant have
                        England (country)
                        ---Bedfordshire (State,Province)
                        ---Berkshire
                        ---etc etc
                        Scotland
                        ---Aberdeenshire
                        ---Angus
                        ---etc etc
                        Wales
                        ---Blaneau
                        ---Bridgend
                        ---etc etc

Have to have

Great Britain (Country)
                        ---England (State, Province)
                        ---Scotland
                        ---Wales

So, would need to include an extra input box in the Address forms for County.

And then check that with the javascript, when Free shipping method is chosen.

This the path to take (short of not using Sagepay) ?

Comment

Use address line 4 for county, just rename its label. Remember though that you need all possible entries to be evaluated, for example my county is staffs or staffordshire or stafs or stafordshire.

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation guys - will get on it

Comment

That sounds right, but I'm not really up to speed on what changes V10 introduced in this area.

I have to admit that I would probably create a fourth zone (county/state) called "Devon" but from what you say this breaks sagepay so is a no-no.

So, yes. Set one of the address fields as 'county' and make it a required field. You should then be able to use javascript to test that the field has the correct county when the local shipping class is chosen.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X