Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping by weight confusion

Hi,
    We have just recently been trying to update our Shipping Charges, after hours of trying I am more confused than ever!

I am trying to achieve the following.

£1.95 for all orders under £9.95

Free shipping on all orders over £9.95 apart from Heavy and large items which carry a charge of £1.95 or £3.95

I have therefore but a weight in each product under £9.95 corresponding to the price, therefore when it goes over 9.94kg nothing is charged up to 2000kg which I have put against the medium large items the next charge applies up to 5000kg which I have used against extra heavy items. (See attached)

I have tried setting the default weight at anything between 0-0.10 with totally different effects it either charges for all items and works on the items below 9.95kg or does not charge and does not work.

I have only put in weights for items below 9.95kg and Medium Heavy (2000) and very Heavy (5000) therefore would the solution be to put in weights for all items?

I don't really want to exclude some items from all shipping as in the future we may charge for these items in different zones...i.e. Europe.

I hope someone understands this and can shed some light on it?

Regards Repy
    Attached Files

I have only put in weights for items below 9.95kg
    I would think that you need to put weights in for the items of 9.95 and above, otherwise, they won't ship free, even though they are above your 9.95 for free shipping threshold.
    I have tried setting the default weight at anything between 0-0.10 with totally different effects it either charges for all items and works on the items below 9.95kg or does not charge and does not work.
    If you set default to zero (0) and don't give the product a weight, then it won't charge, as the total weight will be zero
    If you set default to 0.10, and the product price is £10, the customer will be charged postage as if the product was 10p, when in fact, you would want it to charge for weight 1 (=£10).

If you are going to use this method, you really need to set weights for all.
    Using your own criteria, this would be really easy to set up, using an export, as you are simply want to copy the price into the weight field, for your non heavy products

Comment

Thank you for you reply

"If you set default to zero (0) and don't give the product a weight, then it won't charge, as the total weight will be zero
      If you set default to 0.10, and the product price is £10, the customer will be charged postage as if the product was 10p, when in fact, you would want it to charge for weight 1 (=£10),"

The above is what I have been working on but a soon as I set the "default to zero (0)" then it charges for items above £9.95 with no weight feilds, everything below £9.95 works ok and so do the heavy items etc.

Thats why I'm totally confused!

Regards Repy.

Comment

If you want £0.00 charged for 0kg, then you need to have that in the table to tell it so, if you don't 0kg will fall into the first tier of charging as it is an 'up to' value.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
          If you want £0.00 charged for 0kg, then you need to have that in the table to tell it so, if you don't 0kg will fall into the first tier of charging as it is an 'up to' value.
          Thanks Lee,

So the table would look like this (see attached)?

What I can't get my head round is:

With the table in the first post,

If I use a default weight of 0.10 the nothing is charged for apart from (2000) and above.

If I use a default weight of anything between 0.00-0.09 the all products below 9.95 with weights in and all products above 9.95 without weights in are charged at £1.95. The higher heavier items work correctly as above.

I am really trying hard to work this on out, lots of reading etc, but to me it just don't add up! maybe I'm just missing the point?

Any help with an alternative table etc much appreciated.

Ta
          Attached Files

Comment

You need to give all your products a weight, including those over £9.95 (as Martin says above). If you just assign them a light weight with their own table setting then you run into the problem that something at £16.95 (zero Kg) and something at £7.95 (7.95 Kg) has a total weight of 7.95 Kg which will be charged for even though the total order value is over £9.95.

I'm not sure why you get different behaviour for 0.00 - 0.09 and 0.1 default weights. But this is really just a distraction from getting to the correct settings.

So, use the table you started with but make sure that all products have their correct weight / value assigned. That should work.

Mike
            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

That's how you add the zero charge yes, is your matrix not fundamentally flawed though in that it doesn't cater for multiple purchases. Are you not setting this up to have single purchases or is that what only happens?

Set the default weight to the most common weight, you have less to input then as all products without a weight will take that weight.

My instinct says you could do it by % of order value, its difficult to sometimes get your head round what someone says though as they're telling you what they have, not what they need. If you get no further, do a post explaining just what you want and I'll gladly take a look at it for you.

Comment

That's a good point from Lee. You can just assign a default to cover everything that's over £9.95 ( 10kg for example). Then you only have to enter specfic weights for the cheaper and heavier items.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Working...
                X