Royal Mail Changes in January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Mail Changes in January

We were just looking into getting a RM collection to save the trips to the Post Office, we send everything "signed for" as it gives the compensation with the odd package Std parcels or Special Delivery but we just found out that there are some changes coming from January around Royal Mails Compensation Policy where they will no longer offer compensation for loss or damage on Recorded Delivery but you will still receive a signature for your Proof of Delivery.

This proves a problem as you essentially contract them to deliver a package they loose it and thats that. The response we got was "If you require compensation for your inland items you will need to use either Royal Mail Tracked or Special Delivery."

So we are after ideas of what do you use / recommend for a similar service to royal mails signed for service.

can you tell me were you got this information, we have not heard or seen anything with regards these changes

Cheers
    Darren

Comment

See here: http://www.royalmailgroup.com/cy/node/7935 (Paragraph 6)

I believe the change will only effect business contract customers and not post office processed packages.
      Darren Guppy
      Golf Tee Warehouse
      Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

I assume this is the paragraph referred to:

Changes to compensation for business contract customers
        Postcomm has approved Royal Mail’s application to change its compensation arrangements for business contract customers. Royal Mail is now finalising its plans for implementing the change and will communicate with customers in due course. The change means compensation will no longer be available for loss or damage to postal items sent using untracked services such as Mailsort or Packetpost. None of the major UK delivery companies provide large businesses with compensation for loss or damage for untracked delivery services.
        But this just says no compensation for untracked packages. Is recorded delivery not a 'tracked' service?

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

That is the paragraph, although it is unclear if Royal Mail include 'Recorded Delivery' as a 'Tracked' service as technically it is not tracked at any stage until the customer signs, so may will be excluded from the compensation scheme.
          Darren Guppy
          Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

This will depend on the value of the goods you are sending and how often you need to claim for loss or damage. In other words can you stand to loose x% of your goods and cover it the saving in postage between the Signed For service vs the Tracked or Special delivery service.

Comment

Seems very vague.

It mentions packpost - that is a 1st or second class bulk mail which currently has the option of adding 'signed for' to it but makes no mention of 1st or 2nd class packets specifically.

I would guess that they are addressing the compensation for loss when there is no proof that it is still within their system. Currently there is no difference in the amount of compensation that can be claimed signed for or not. Given the boom in low value items sent via ebay i'd guess this is a major problem for them, especially as the system can be exploited as it is.

If you have proof of collection for an item and paid for proof of delivery then that is 2 points of tracking so should be ok? You'd have proof that RM still have it in their system.

We use RM Tracked which works well for us but does seem a little more expensive but it is much quicker than 1st or 2nd class packets which if they miss the next day target could take a couple of weeks to arrive.

Comment

Until Royal Mail make any further announcements I guess it is all speculation, I feel they will apply it to all contract services (excluding 'Royal Mail Tracked' & Special Delivery) whether you select recorded delivery or not but only time will tell.
                If you send using franked mail, stamps or smart stamp you will be uneffected.
                Darren Guppy
                Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

This info was from our Royal Mail New Business Manager

Comment

The changes take effect from 9th January 2012 and do appear to include recorded mail.

More details here: Changes to Royal Mail terms and conditions: Compensation and delivery

Compensation for loss or damage of untracked contract itemsWe will no longer pay compensation for the loss or damage of items sent using contract services that do not include a tracking element. This includes both domestic and international services, and is in line with industry standards. Compensation is still available for loss or damage of stamped and franked items, and tracked services (Special Delivery, Royal Mail Tracked, International Signed For and Airsure). The range of packet services we offer gives you a choice of delivery speeds, tracking capability and levels of compensation. This change does not affect stamped and franked services.
                    I guess if you use Packetpost and have particular mail that you want covered you could you smartstamp for that particulaar package or post at the Post Office and send the rest through Packetpost as normal, although the cost would be higher than for Packetpost.
                    Darren Guppy
                    Golf Tee Warehouse

Comment

Working...
                    X