Zone/class weight resolution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zone/class weight resolution?

As I imagine many other people may, I'm struggling a bit with items sent by Royal Mail which fit into the Letter & Large Letter brackets as at the moment everything is charged by weight on packet prices. I like to be as reasonable as possible with delivery charges & when something that costs 75p to post is being charged to the customer at £3.00ish, I feel it's a pretty poor deal which doesn't encourage customers to return, especially on relatively low value items where the postage starts to become a high % of the overall order cost.

Anyway, I don't want to mess to much with the weights of my other products, so I was thinking that if the weights in the shipping tables went to 3 decimal places rather than only 2, that I’d be able to extend my shipping weight tables down the way to accommodate the products in question.

Is it possible to change the 2 decimal limitation to 3 by messing about with the DB in Access?

Thanks.
    Air Tech Equipment Ltd - Online Airbrush, Craft & Graphics equipment supplier

I don't undertand how 3 decimal places will help distingusih whether an item should be charged at large letter rate or packet rate, as an item weighing 20g might be a packet if it is over 25mm thick and a 600g item may go as a large letter if small and flat, perhaps I have misunderstood.

The current 2 decimal places in the shipping tables allow you to go down as low as 10g (0.01kg).
    Darren Guppy
    Golf Tee Warehouse
    Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

I don’t want to start altering the real packing weights as with the exception of the mentioned small items it all works very well.

I already have weight categories incremented up from 0.01kg, which may seem pedantic, but many orders that go out are for multiple items & when the weights were first set up they were all done as simple product+packaging weights & there are over 1000 of them.

I appreciate that I could no doubt rearrange things so that the current 2 decimal system would work, but it would get somewhat overcomplicated as I imagine that I'd have to start fudging weights to get everything to fit correctly.

If I could go below 0.01, I could set all the letter items at for example 0.001, the large letter at 0.002 & set two weight brackets in the existing table for these which would then charge correctly for these items. This wouldn't have any real impact on combined orders which included these items with the incorrect weight, as most of them are very light anyway.

It's possibly a bad idea, or not even possible, so any suggestions for a different fix that doesn't involve messing with lots of product weight would be much appreciated.

EDIT:- sorry, regarding the first point I have plenty of products which are sent large letter, even in multiples - the size limitations of letter / large letter don't really come into play with them.

Comment

Hi Martin,

If I've understood you correct, could you not create and set up new shipping categories (letter & large letter) and place the products in question into which ever one you need?
        "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions"

Comment

Hi Paul,

I also have products in the lower weight ranges which don't qualify for letter or large letter rates & I though that Actinic didn't allow products to be tied up to specific shipping methods(?) - I had figured if I did as you mentioned that the non qualifying items would then be able to incorrectly shipped at the lower letter rate?

If that make sense?

Martin.

Comment

Sorry Martin, I misunderstood you.

Maybe this thread can help - http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=50163
            "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions"

Comment

Cheers Paul.

When I initialy set up the site, my products were loaded first & as the product weight feild was infinite, many of the light products were loaded in at 3 decimals -when shipping was later set up, I was surprised to see the 2 decimal / 10g limit.........

I'm probably looking at this the wrong way, but having finer banding available in shipping would be an ideal way to allow small / light products to use R.M. packet rates.

I think I'll get a copy of Access & see how badly I can wreck shipping

Comment

Working...
              X