Shipping Dependant on Stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping Dependant on Stock?

I think it unlikely that this would be possible, but I am considering the ability for the shipping to change automatically in the Checkout for the customer so that if sufficient is in stock the shipping comes up with "Next Working Day", but if there isn't enough stock it comes up with, "Allow 10 days for delivery" or words to that effect. Any ideas?

Sarah

Both from a function and a customer point of view, that would be a very bad position to relay this. Imagine standing in a queue to pay for something that you think is in stock, only to find out it isn't when you go to pay. Need to think of this from the customer point of view, they will want to know this on the product page. You could use the stock figure to place a message on the product layout relaying your timescales, the delivery choice they make will not be auto made though, you could say 4 days on product layout, but they could just as easily choose next day delivery.

Comment

Yes, of course

If this were possible, I would definately have made it clear on the website, both with the individual product and generally. There would be an IN STOCK message for products in stock, and an OUT OF STOCK message for products out of stock, but the ability to order an out of stock item with the provision that there would be a delivery delay. I agree that it would be very bad for a customer to not find it out until the Checkout!

At the moment we have "Up to 2 Working Days" as the delivery description in the checkout, but this would not be the case if we allowed customers to order out of stock items.

Sarah

Comment

If you only have products that people buy singularly i could see this working, if people can buy more than one product and thus an in stock and an out of stock one, you are then into individual messages against each product. I think the best way would be as you are relaying on products at the moment, with a confirmation message in checkout that in stock items will be next day, out of stock items will be x days.

I can see what you are trying to do, i just don't think it is at all easy or even possible unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by saucysal View Post
          I think it unlikely that this would be possible, but I am considering the ability for the shipping to change automatically in the Checkout for the customer so that if sufficient is in stock the shipping comes up with "Next Working Day", but if there isn't enough stock it comes up with, "Allow 10 days for delivery" or words to that effect. Any ideas?

Sarah
          To do this you would need to access the stock values of the items from the checkout pages, you could then use this from javascript to control the text in the message. The main problem to get this to work is that the stock calls built into Actinic work on Section ID's and not Product ID's. It would be quite expensive as a one off custom package.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
          SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
          Custom Packages

Comment

Working...
          X