Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck at step 1!

Hi.

I have installed Catalog V7 to my PC and have started to configure web site details. but once I have confirmed the directories and click next I get
    'An error occurred while sending an HTTP request to the server. perhaps the network is down or the web server is down'

The network and webserver are both fine, I run norton firewall but catalog.exe is permitted to access the net, I am also behind a router, but I can ftp files to the web server using any other ftp program fine.
    All login and passwords are correct - indeed Catalog must be able to see the web server in order to show me the correct directory structure!

Is there something simple that I am missing?

Many thanks

Spotta

Try creating the acatalog and cgi-bin folders via ftp first of all and see if that gets it working.

Also, what does your host provide in the form of a network file for your actinic usage, if at all or on help files maybe?

Comment

Hi.
      I have just tired this and it makes no difference at all. it still gets to the same point and then tells me the web server or network is down.

However it is accessing the web server because if I now open my htdocs folder on the directories page of web site details, I can now see the acatalog folder I just created.

My host has no personal experience with Actinic, although they say that other clients of theirs are hosting Actinic successfully.

After searching these forums I have realised that this is quite a common problem and I have also tried lots of replies to other people with no luck.

I have also tried entering the information directly into Advanced>Network setup - but this tells me I have yet to initially upload my website - which I know!

Do I need to set any permissions before my initial upload? I cannot see any mention of this in the manual – but I am willing to try anything after spending the whole weekend trying to upload this.

Thanks

Spotta

Comment

Try disabling your Norton for a sec and try the wizard then to see if it works without Norton getting in the way. If it does work, then you have the Norton / SP2 problem of interfering with your connections which has been discussed on here quite a bit in the last week or so.

Dont forget to switch your Norton back on afterwards though in either case.

Comment

Hi.

I have also tried this - with no luck.
          I have run a firewall for years, and when ever I have a problem with any program accessing the net - it's the first thing I try.
          I do not think that this problem is about accessing the net or the web server because the web details set up program does connect to my web server - it shows me the correct directory structure, which I have double checked - if I create a new folder on my web server using another FTP program - it shows me the new folder straight away, I select the cgi-bin and htdoc's folder - which it has already selected as the correct folders - then the error message pops up.

regards

Spotta

Comment

Who is your host, as maybe someone else on this forum might be with them, and have a network setup adjusted to your domain that might assist with this.

Comment

Hi.

It's http://www.bpweb.net

Thanks for the help so far

Spotta

Comment

Things to check.

1. The permission of your cgi-bin is set to 755 not 644, and the /acatalog/ folder is set to 777.

2. That you have passive ftp enabled in your network settings.

Mike
                -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Hi.

I have changed the permissions as you said, and have been sent some network settings set-ups by support, and after a bit of trial and error, I have got the catalog uploaded.

However I am now getting 'An error occured while sending the merge request'
                  And I have seen some mention of this on the forums, so I will be checking it out today and will get back if I cannot solve this.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Spotta

Comment

No luck.

Have retried permissions.
                    Have tried deleting .cat and .fil from local and remote site and refreshing.

I have seen some threads saying this fault can appear / disappear at will - but I have been getting it now since monday morning when I got the initial upload to work.

Anything else i can try?

Thanks

Spotta

Comment

Anything else i can try?
                      Yes - register an email support query at http://www.actinic.co.uk/support/register.html. The team there will get your settings, take a look at your server and work out what is going on.

Comment

Working...
                      X