hosting 2+ sites on same server.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hosting 2+ sites on same server.

(thinking about it - this post should live in here)

We have purchased the Development license and have been able to create 2 test sites and upload them no problems.

currently we have:

www.domain.co.uk/emw.html

and

www.domain.co.uk/dvd.html

To help with our overall web structure and also keeping things tidy on the FTP server, how can we get:

www.domain.co.uk/emw/index.html

and

www.domain.co.uk/dvd/index.html

So that each catalog is under its own folder.

I tried changing my settings in Network Setup,
    and added /dvd/ and /emw/ in front of everything EXCEPT for the CGI-BIN url. This all worked.

So I got www.domain.com/dvd/index.html. But as soon as I clicked on a link it displays the URL as http://www.mydomain/cgi/bb000001.pl...AGE=Autumn_Line

etc etc, I was expecting www.mydomain/dvd/PRODUCTPAGE etc etc

so i tried changing the CGI bin to be CGI/DVD and CGI/EMW, but it complains when Testing these CGI settings..

any thoughts?
    many thanks

Make sure you use a different CGI Script ID Number on each site. E.g. 1 and 2. See Advanced / Network Setup.

If that's not it, then again go to Advanced / Network Setup, export your network settings (both systems) and post those text file contents here (obscure the FTP username / password first).

Norman
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

thanks for the reply. I understand that I need to have different cgi numbers.

But when I want the files to be stored for each different site, in a different folder. I managed to change my settings so that the I have a www.mydomain.com/dvd/index.html and a www.mydomain.com/emw/index.html

Each store has its own folder on my server and within the server its own actnic.mdb etc.

But as soon as the user clicks a product on either site from then on the users for each site always see www.mydomain.com/cgi/..... etc

Everything works fine - but if we are going to have 5 sites running from our server I would prefer for cgi files for each site to be in their own folder - rather than 150(or whatever) cgi files all in the same folder.

I dont understand how CGI folders work, but im beginning to think that files have to be directly under the CGI folder, rather than a folder within the CGI folder.

What i am aiming for I guess is that the user will always see www.mydomain.com/dvd/xxxxx.pl or www.mydomain.com/ewm/xxxxx.pl when they are browsing a store.

Comment

You set the path for getting to and from the cgi-bin in the network setup. If the scripts aren't where you want them then it's because the network settings aren't quite right.

Most servers will only allow scripts to be run within the cgi-bin so you'll need to create subdirectories under there if you want the scripts for each site to be in their own directory.

i.e. /cgi-bin/dvd/.. and /cgi-bin/evm/..

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

thanks.. I tried this last night.. uploaded the files no problems but then I kept coming up with a merge error.

I'll try this out again, but I'll double check the CGI paths. Thanks

Comment

A merge error could be due to the permissions on the cgi-bin subdirectory. They might be created as 644 by default but need to be set to 755.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Working...
            X