problems with network settings to live site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems with network settings to live site

...and it was all going so well. I am now trying to upload my shop, but my boss wants it in a folder for testing as opposed to the root where it will be when its live.

I tried using the wizard,
    and I get as far as entering the FTP details and I get the following error message:
    An error occurred while attempting to change permissions of the directory acatalog.
    The FTP Server returned a reply code of 550.
    The current permissions of the file are 0700 and the required permissions are 0755.
    The Connection Wizard will not continue.
    Please configure your network settings through the Advanced | Network Settings dialog.
    Contact your Actinic reseller or Actinic Support as appropriate for any assistance that you may require.
    I tried changing the permissions of the acatalog folder using Core FTP, and I get the following message:
    550 Not a regular file
    SITE chmod 755 acatalog
    550 Could not change perms on acatalog: No such file or directory

So now I've tried to enter the details manually, I've had various errors, but the latest report is this (on running a 'test'):

Code:
    Actinic Mail Test completed successfully
    server:		passed
    connection:	passed
    sockets:		passed
    communications:	failed
    authorisation:	passed

CGI-BIN Working Directory: "c:/inetpub/wwwroot"

CGI-BIN Working Directory Contents
    	aspnet_client
    	iisstart.htm
    	images
    	pagerror.gif
    	postinfo.html
    	_private
    	_vti_cnf
    	_vti_inf.html
    	_vti_log
    	_vti_pvt
    	_vti_script
    	_vti_txt

"../" Directory Contents
    	AdminScripts
    	emailoutput.txt
    	mailroot
    	redirect.log
    	wwwroot

An error occurred trying to read "../actinic/"

An error occurred trying to read "../actinic/acatalog/"

The path to the web site directory you specified (../actinic/acatalog/) points to a file.

The web site directory is not readable.
    The web site directory is not writable.
    Unable to create a file in the web page directory.

No such file or directory 

Unable to create a sub-directory in the web site directory.

No such file or directory
    Ignoring the smtp server because I havent actually got that info yet.

It keeps saying above that the directory's aren't readable. So this means I need to change permissions? But I can't! I'm going to contact my host to see about why I can't change the permissions. But I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas.

Does the acatalog folder have to be in the root?

Thanks
    Sam

Hi Sam,

It looks like you are running a Windows server, therefore you cannot change permissions. One thing would be to post up your network settings, but rub out the username and password.

Does the acatalog folder have to be in the root?
    Does not have to be, but it is preferred.

Kind Regards
    Nadeem Rasool
    SellerDeck Development

Comment

Catalog URL:
      http://www.website.co.uk/actinic/acatalog/
      CGI-BIN URL:
      http://www.website.co.uk/cgi-bin/
      Codebase:
      ./
      Path from cgi-bin to acatalog directory:
      ../actinic/acatalog/

Website URL:
      http://www.website.co.uk/

Path to perl shell
      /usr/bin/perl

Path to CGI-BIN:
      /htdocs/cgi-bin/

Path from cgi-bin to acatalog director as viewed by the ftp server (leave....)
      ../actinic/acatalog/

Use passive transfers:
      ticked

I've tried all sorts of combinations. If my server wont allow me to change permissions, will i ever get it to work?

I'm on phone now to support.

Also, what about the smtp server? The host does not provide this as my client does not have them as his ISP.

Thanks
      Sam

Comment

Hi there

Try changing:

Path from cgi-bin to acatalog directory:
        ../actinic/acatalog/
        to ./actinic/acatalog/.

Try this first. The SMTP has to be the one that your hosting company has provided.

If the above does not work, then it is a permission issue and we have a guide on setting up II5 and II6 to work with Actinic on this address: http://www.actinic.co.uk/hosting/

You may want to forward the relevant documentation to your hosting company

Kind Regards
        Nadeem Rasool
        SellerDeck Development

Comment

Just got off phone after being "6th in the queue" for 20 minutes

Apparently I can change to a Linux server for free I like free and so should my client and I can't see why he wouldn't agree to it. Unless he needed ASP for whatever reason.

So if I can should I change server?

Sam

Comment

Hi there

The good think about Linux server, is that the user can change permissions. We generally have more success in configuiring Actinic on linux server.

Kind Regards
            Nadeem Rasool
            SellerDeck Development

Comment

Hi,

I've changed server now so it's linux.

I get the following errors:
              Actinic received a bad method error from the web server. The server is not properly configured to allow Actinic to run CGI scripts from the cgi-bin. Run Web | Configure Web Site Details... to review your web site configuration.
              and then this when I click view response:
              Method Not Allowed
              The requested method POST is not allowed for the URL /cgi-bin/cp000021.pl.
              and then:
              The web server returned error code 405 - Server does not support the requested method. Your web server is not configured to accept POSTs to CGI scripts. Contact your ISP or system administrator and have them reconfigure the server.
              Is this something I can fix? By changing permissions?

Sam

Comment

OK, the cgi-bin problem was to do with the host and its now fixed. The guy I had was excellent and he helped me out with trying to get Actinic working

Basically, the settings were as I had them in the 3rd post but:
                /htdocs/cgi-bin/ is
                htdocs/cgi-bin/

I'm still having problems with the smtp server though. The support guy said I could use their smpt server which would be smtp.website.co.uk it worked for him, but not for me.

I've also tried using the smtp server that I use for work email, and the one for home email, but still the same error message:

The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again. If it fails again, then it is possible, you were locked out by a firewall program, or you don't have network connection to this server.
                I'm sure it's not a firewall thats the prob, but I think it might be something to do with my network or something.

Any ideas?

Thanks Sam

Comment

Hi there.

Hi there, are you using an email address that is linked to your website, ie sales@mywebsitename.co.uk in 'View | Business settings | Company Contact'

You see often what happens is clients use their hotmail account for example and this will not work. The email address and server need to be specified by the hosting company.

Hope this helps
                  Darren

SellerDeck

www.sellerdeck.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                  X