Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Hosting in USA

Hi Folks,

I've been trying to determine a suitable host for my site. I would like it to be hosted in the U.S as most of the traffic will eminate from there.

I had chosen WebsiteSource shared hosting package, but it looks like there may be a problem with one of the requirements needed by Actinic. I sent them the list of requirements as printed in the users guide.

The requirements for Actinic to run successfully are as follows:
    1. A UNIX or Windows NT system running a web server.
    2. The web server must support POSTs and GETs to CGI scripts implemented in Perl
    3. Perl 5.004 or greater must be installed on the server
    4. The user must have access to a cgi-bin directory (or any directory that allows them to execute
    CGI scripts).
    5. The user must have access to a web server document directory (a directory from which the
    web server distributes files). This directory is referred to as the web root directory.
    6. The CGI scripts must have access to the web root directory (the directory from #5).
    7. The effective user ID of the CGI scripts when they are executed via the web browser must
    have read and write access to the web root directory (from #5).
    8. The user ID of the web server must have read access to the web root directory (from #5) and
    read/execute access to the cgi-bin directory (from #4).
    9. The server must execute the CGI scripts in the directory in which they are installed. (There
    has never been a problem with UNIX servers or third party NT web servers violating this
    requirement, but Microsoft's IIS breaks this rule unless the cgi-bin directories are located in a
    particular directory specified by IIS.)
    10. The user must have FTP access to the server.
    11. If the user plans to FTP files to the server, their FTP account must be able to read, write, and
    delete files in the cgi-bin directory and the web root directory (from #5). They must also be
    able to create sub-directories in the catalog directory. Users on UNIX systems must also be
    able to change the file and directory permissions.
    12. Not required.
    13. If the user plans to perform manual installs, they must have some method of transporting and
    installing the files on the web server.
    Advanced Users Guide - 85
    14. A SMTP server must be available to the CGI scripts so that the user is notified via
    email when new orders arrive.
    15.Not required
    16. If the user plans to use SSL to secure the credit card details of their customers, the catalog
    files (files in the acatalog directory created within the acatalog directory from #5) must be
    accessible to the secure server.
    They responded as follows:

https://helpdesk.websitesource.com/v...&pass=f61b4212

You can also reply to this e-mail.

Ticket Ref : 1843-TAHZ-6216
    Ticket Subject : Query

Reply:
    If you have a vps account you ahve root access to the vps server itself and
    can install any 3rd party software, while we still be unable to install the
    software for you. also all of our software we run on the non vps accounts is
    listed here:
    http://www.websitesource.com/company/network.shtml
    This VPS account is a much more expensive package than the shared hosting, which suggests that the shared hosting doesn't have root access to the server.

A couple of questions arise from this.

1. Does Actinic actually require access to the Root Server? Not sure I fully understand the wording of the requirements above. Or that Website Source has!

2. Can any American users, or anyone else for that matter, recommend a shared hosting account based in the U.S. that works well with Actinic?

Hope someone can advise.

Many thanks.

Myles Sinclair
    www.magicalwonders.com

Miles try Sure Solutions
    Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the recommendation.

$600 per annum is a bit beyond my budget at the moment though. I am hoping to get away with a cheaper shared hosting alternative.

I don't really understand what Actinic requirement No.5 means.
      5. The user must have access to a web server document directory (a directory from which the
      web server distributes files). This directory is referred to as the web root directory.
      Is this an area outside of the webspace you get from a hosting company?

Many thanks.

Myles
      www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Miles

Drop an e-mail to sales @ solarilluminations.com and ask LEE who he hosts with. Tell him you were given his details by Gary Hay, Grampian Web Wizards
        Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Thanks Gary,

I've sent an email to Lee.

Many thanks,

Myles
          www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

I offer one set of hosting that the server is based in the USA. Benefits are that support is in the UK and runs with actinic
            Jenny
            Hanson Web Design
            www.hansonwebdesign.co.uk
            jenny@hansonwebdesign.co.uk
            Actinic hosting, Actinic Software, template design and re-design

Comment

Thanks Jenny,

I've already signed up with WebsiteSource. The problem that I thought ruled them out turned out not to be a problem after all!

Anyway, I've got a 30 day money back offer, so if it all goes horribly wrong!...

Best wishes,

Myles
              www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Myles,

The host that I am using is Webhostingbuzz.com, give them a shot. They have great support and 99.9% uptime. My hosting costs me $47 per year for 5 GB of space and a host of webtools, unlimited email addresses, unlimited subdomains (myles.arassoc.com), unlimited autoresponders, unlimited email forward accounts, (info@arassoc.com ---> anybodyelse@arassoc.com), they offer everything that is needed for Actinic and installation is flawless. Nothing to set up. Just install actinic and go...

Eagle
                Isaiah 40:31But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint.

Comment

Hi Eagle,

Thanks for the info. That's terrific value. I've already signed up and paid Websitesource, so I really should give them a chance first. But.... It's good to know an alternative that works well in case I have to take up their money back offer!

I've already had to cancel a U.K. host 1 & 1 internet because they tried to charge me for a "free" domain transfer! I'm using DNS pointing now, so I won't fall for that one again!

Have a great Christmas!

Best wishes,

Myles
                  www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Originally posted by garyhay
                    Miles try Sure Solutions

Try us - we are not as expensive and they send US hosting clients.
                    Web Design & Ecommerce - Affordable Web Hosting
                    Free and low cost Merchant Accounts coming soon..
                    NOD32 Antivirus - Reciprocal Links for Actinic Sites ONLY

Comment

Working...
                    X