Working on someonelses Actinic site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on someonelses Actinic site

I am transferring a clients web site from a Windows server to an Apache one. I have FTP'd down and up to new server. They have tried to configure it at the new site but cannot make a connection.
    Is there any way I can test it first on the new server from my computer (100 miles away), perhaps change the configuration as necessary so that they can just seamlessly carry on?
    Is there a file I can just edit and test?
    They have the Developer version and are not willing to send it to me.
    I have no version of Actinic and have never used it! Therefor - help!

Hi,

You can download a 30-day trial version. Get your client to export their network settings (Advanced | Network Setup | Export) and email them across to you. You can then import them into your software (Advanced | Network Setup | Import) and then test the settings from your end. Before importing the settings check that you are not in Actinic Host Mode (it will have this at the top of the 'Network Setup' window). If you are then click on the 'Convert' button to change it to 'Normal mode' before importing the settings.

Please note that if the settings work for you and not your client then there could be other factors that are stopping it from working at their end such as firewalls, proxy servers or even the connection they have to the internet.

I hope this helps.
    Tracey
    SellerDeck

Comment

Thanks

Very helpful - thank you! I have asked for a CD of the Developer version, since they had that. I don't know if the ordinary version would have done.

Two quick questions, if I may.
      1)When I have it working, do I then export my settings to them? I'm not sure of the configuration is held on the server or on their office computer.
      2)Doesn't their Developer version come with any licence to give me (their web developer) a copy to work on away from their office? They have at least 3 sites at present. The last time I moved a site for them, she kept redoing the configuration literally twenty times, getting slightly further each time til it suddenly worked. The word was that that was just Actinic for you! I have two more sites to switch!!!

Comment

Hi Jon

1)When I have it working, do I then export my settings to them? I'm not sure of the configuration is held on the server or on their office computer.
        You can export the network settings to them, simply go to "Advance | Network Setup" and you should see an "Export" button. You can click on it and export the network settings onto the desktop, which you client can import via the "Import" button in "Network Setup".

In answer to question 2) you can have the client export a snapshot to you, which is the site zipped up with some registry information. However you will also need to have their licence key and their exact version. Check this in "Help | About Developer".
        So the client will send you 2 snapshots, you can use their developer key and licence 2 sites (Via "File | Sites | Licence New Site") and once for each site you could import it via "File | Snapshot | Import Site". This way, they have given you a clone of whats on their pc.

Kind Regards
        Nadeem Rasool
        SellerDeck Development

Comment

Working...
        X