Site unreadable by wanadoo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site unreadable by wanadoo...

Any ideas on what the problem is? Site seems to work OK from here, but this is from a French friend. I guess this is probably not an Actinic problem, but need to know what to reply to him, and haven't a clue what is wrong...

Message received:
    www.treatmentgels.co.uk doesn't work... it allways drive me to :http://www.wanadoo.fr/bin/frame2.cgi...mentgels.co.uk

Any ideas, please?

Anf
    Anf
    New Year - new YOU!
    (remove that cellulite before the summer comes - www.treatmentgels.co.uk)

Hi Anthea,

have you recently changed servers / hosts? If you have it may be the old host has not yet released the zone tags and if your friend is dialling in on the same network they get the redirect - I have just had a similar issue with a recently moved site.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

The treatmentgels site is brand new with 4sure (a week), the old site has been up and running (albeit recently modified to add the forwarding tags) for about 12 months with Lycos, and he is getting a "no server" message with that one. Having said all that, perhaps it is a 4sure problem as there was a point where I was going to move the old site to 4sure, then bought the new domain instead. Does that give a clue?

Anf
      Anf
      New Year - new YOU!

Comment

Just looked at nominet and it says "registration request being processed". Would that cause the problem?

anf
        Anf
        New Year - new YOU!

Comment

Hi there

I would not say that will be causing the problem. Is your friend still getting the problem now? The problem might not be to do with 4sure, it might be to do with cache on your friends isp. The following is an extract from http://www.howstuffworks.com

The other key is caching. Once a name server resolves a request, it caches all of the IP addresses it receives. Once it has made a request to a root server for any COM domain, it knows the IP address for a name server handling the COM domain, so it doesn't have to bug the root servers again for that information. Name servers can do this for every request, and this caching helps to keep things from bogging down.

Name servers do not cache forever, though. The caching has a component, called the Time To Live (TTL), that controls how long a server will cache a piece of information. When the server receives an IP address, it receives the TTL with it. The name server will cache the IP address for that period of time (ranging from minutes to days) and then discard it. The TTL allows changes in name servers to propagate. Not all name servers respect the TTL they receive, however. When HowStuffWorks moved its machines over to new servers, it took three weeks for the transition to propagate throughout the Web
          Source: How Stuff Works DNS Article

Kind Regards
          Nadeem Rasool
          SellerDeck Development

Comment

Without reading in detail what the article Nadeem links to are saying, I can say with confidence that this is a local DNS issue, and is quite common. ISP's use their own DNS records as it speeds responce times up, and generally makes life easier for them. The problems kick in when their local DNS is not right or corrupted. Normally this results in a 404 error for the sites not in their DNS.

This normally corrects iself at the next DNS refresh which can be up to 24 hours.
            Old Bald & Stupid, but more than compensated for by being born Welsh.
            Umbrella Consultancy <a href="http://www.umbrella-consultancy.co.uk/search-engine-optimisation-reports.htm"><font color="#000000">Search Engine Optimisation Reports</font></a>.

Comment

Thanks for your responses guys. As of now, I still have no message that Wanadoo has caught up with me. Seems a bit odd that a domain that has been active for at least 2 weeks is still not registered. 4sure suggested it might be that the Wanadoo local DNS is not up to date (likely, as it's a new site) and the problem is with their forwarding it upwards.
              I am hanging on hoping it will sort itself out - trying not to think of the potential problem if I go off to France in a couple of weeks time and want to download orders through - you've guessed it! - my Wanadoo account!
              Anf
              New Year - new YOU!

Comment

You can check by setting your modem to point to the Wanadoo DNS temporarily - settings at http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/connec...nssettings.htm

Similarly if you are using the Wanadoo service to dial into your account you can set the modem settings to that of any other provider to help you route around Wanadoo.

Bikster

Comment

Hi Anthea - in reply to your email you can set the DNS settings in your modem by opening Internet Explorerer - Tools - Internet Options - Connections - Select you Modem and click Settings - Properties - Networking - Click on TCP/IP then Properties and you can enter your settings for the DNS server there.

You can get to the above using the control panel if preferred.

Bikster

Comment

Working...
                  X