Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing Security Key Info

Hi Folks,

I've recently had to reformat my hard drive and start again. I copied all my files first, including Site 1 in Actinic.

After reloading Actinic I replaced Site 1 and everything (almost) appears to be as it should be.

However, I notice that the info shown for password and username under House keeping/Security is the original details for uploading the site to Actinics test space and not my current webspace.

The information showing under Network settings is correct. Is it O.K. to change the user name and password displayed at Housekeeping/Security or is this likely to mess things up big time?

Hope someone can advise.

Many thanks,

Myles
    www.magicalwonders.com

if you took a copy of the housekeeping keys from the original install you are quite safe to paste these keys into the new install

Comment

Hello Jo,

This is the tricky bit. I didn't actually make a copy of the original key. (oops, Norman advised me to months ago and it was on my list of things to do!) However, I did copy the original installation of the program. C:\Program files\Actinic V7

After re-installing Actinic I copied over site 1 from the original files. What is puzzling me is that the Network settings are correct and I assume this has come from the original copy of Site 1. The user name and password in Housekeeping/Security has to have come from this copy of Site 1 too.

Although the current password and username in Housekeeping and security are different to those in Network settings, I assume they are supposed to be the same? Is it possible to just change the username and password in Houskeeping/Security and refresh the website?

The Actinic part of the site isn't live yet, so I can always delete actinic files from the webspace and reload?

Thanks

Myles
      www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Ok this reply is what i think and not what i know to be the case.

You should be ok with what you have as you don't have orders to download. The case where the encryption key is vital is when you have orders to download after a PC crash.

So if its a clean install, all you need to get the site going again is the actinic key which comes with the software.

Comment

Jo's right. Unless you've a live site with pending orders you can start again with a new set of encryprions keys.

The reason they weren't recovered is that they're held in the Registry, not anywhere in Site1.

It's always a good idea to copy / paste that info from Housekeeping / Security to a textfile that you keep safe when you go live. And make a snapshot. And back-up of all of Site1.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

That sounds good.

However putting aside the encryption key, what is the situation regarding password and username showing in Housekeeping/Security?

It looks as though I can change these to whatever I want. Are they supposed to match the password and username showing in Advanced/ Network setup?

What is a concern is that the out of date password showing in Housekeeping/Security is visible. It is not hidden. Anything I replace it with is also clearly visible. This doesn't feel very secure.

I've tried a fresh install to clear this info, but when I copy over the backup of Site 1 it reappears.

Any ideas?

Myles
            www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

It looks as though I can change these to whatever I want.
              Best use the Actinic generated keys (or copies of older ones) - they're the correct format and length.
              Are they supposed to match the password and username showing in Advanced/ Network setup?
              No. Network setup is about the ones needed to Authenticate to your FTP or SMTP server. These are provided by your ISP. The Actinic keys are for encrypting customer data.
              What is a concern is that the out of date password showing in Housekeeping/Security is visible. It is not hidden. Anything I replace it with is also clearly visible. This doesn't feel very secure.
              It's only visible in that location on your PC (nowhere on your web-site) and is as secure as you want it to be. Just lock the door to the computer room, set a Login or BIOS password, etc.
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I understand now. Many thanks.

Myles
                www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Working...
                X