Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complete beginner

Hi everyone.
    I am fairly competent at creating, database-driven ASP pages, and have ASP hosting already, but I know nothing about security and secure servers.
    Is this enough, or do I need something called a SSL server?
    Can someone please explain what type of hosting I need is please to operate an online shopping cart securely.
    Thanks

Hi Jeff,

welcome to the forum. The checkout pages will need to be hosted on a secure server to give the user confidence and show the "golden padlock" in the browser.

There are several options. Actinic has built in software encryption available which encrypts the orders - OK for starting but does not show the padlock in the browser bar but in the actual page and may scare some people away.

Most ISP's will probably have a shared certificate you can use with their hosting, check your host for Shared SSL and check their settings. This is much better than the above option as it gives the padlock and user confidence and is generally free with the hosting package. If people click the padlock they will see the host name and not your domain but just seeing the padlock is often enough for the vast majority.

The next step is to buy and host your own certificate so if anyone clicks the padlock they will see the certificate is in your name and adds the final layer of customer confidence.

Check with your host first about shared SSL and start with that - as things progress then consider buying your own certificate.

HTH

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Thank you Jont.That explains things well.
      My host does offer shared SSL.
      OK, another, probably simply, process I can't get my head around is the Credit Card processing. When buyer 'Checks Out' - what, or who, processes the payment?
      Will any UK bank work with Actinic?

Basically, how does payment reach my bank account?

Sorry to be so stupid!

Comment

There are several ways to get the money into your bank account. If you look under View | Business Settings | Payment and Security... click on the "+" symbol next to "Payment Method" a new line will appear -click on the drop down arrow that has appeared and this list the various PSP (payment service providers) inbuilt with Actinic.

The most common ones to use are probably PayPal, ProtX and HSBC depending on your location. You will need to set these up first and then enter the user details etc into Actinic. The monies are then held by the PSP and you can log into their accounts to transfer monies etc when the goods are ready to be shipped etc.

If you have the ability to handle credit card processing in say a bricks and mortar store you can also set "credit card details captured for later processing" ... although you will generally need authorisation from your bank to do this (to limit fraud) and the card detail are not checked as they are if say you used HSBC.

HTH

Bikster

Comment

Thanks,
          That clears things up for me. I didn't have a clue prior to your replies.
          No doubt I will be visiting this forum frequently from now on.
          Thanks again,
          Jeff

Comment

There is a lot of information on this forum covering a wide range of topics not just Actinic... always worth doing a search to see if it has been covered before and also to pick up some top tips and ideas.

May also be worth downloading the Design Guide and Advanced User Guides from the main Actinic website as there is a wealth of info in there to tweak and change Actinic

Bikster

Comment

Working...
            X