Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unable to ulpoad

When i try to upload to my site i get the following mesage:

[Unable to connect to the FTP server "www.idigitaldownloads.com". The operation timed out]

The Actinic help service suggested this is something my ISP may be able to sort out.

My ISP says that they are able to upload ok to the site using FTP and so far are unable to help.

The FTP configuration on my server is currently set to the following

Configuration
    ServerIdent ProFTPD FTP Server ready.
    Anonymous Disabled
    TimeoutIdle (second) 300 (originally set to 600)
    TimeoutNoTransfer (second) 300 (originally set to 600)
    TimeoutLogin (second) 300
    MaxInstances 10 (originally set to 30)

I tried changing the settings from the 'original' settings to see if there was an improvement but got the same message as above (after about 30 seconds elapsed time)

Does anyone know what the problem may be?.

John

Have you checked your firewall?

have you got "use passive FTP" checked

search the forum on firewall, and connection problems to get other ideas

it is quite common to be able to ftp but not upload actinic.

Comment

it's the network setup

hi,

i think i may be able to help as i spent the whole of last week dealing with the same problem. go to the "advance" menu, "network set up" and then "convert". this converts your actinic from the test mode into the standard mode. click on ok and this should solve the problem. please let me know how you get on.

regards
      rebecca
      http://www.hand-embroidery.co.uk
      http://www.ulsterbullion.co.uk

Comment

It was the Firewall.

I have a Norton Firewall, however i also have a Microsoft firewall.
        Disabling the Microsoft firewall (and not changing anything on the Norton software) seems to have eliminated the problem.
        Thanks for all the help and interest.
        John

Comment

Not sure if you've already sorted this out but I had the same problem when I was uploading. I was told to do the following from the Advanced Network Settings - go to FTP Options - I was told to put in the following figures (in order of boxes on the screen)

tick enabled
          20 retries

This seemed to work for me - hope it helps.

Sonia

Comment

Hi Sonia,
            Thanks, i sorted that problem out. When i switched off the microsoft firewall (from my control panel) everything seemed to work ok.
            I now have another problem though (see other thread).
            I want to change the url of my site, so i made changes on the Advanced Network setup to reflect the new name.
            I am now wondering wether Actinic restrict this somehow (ie does not allow two sites to exist).
            Do you know what is the difference between 'test mode' and 'production mode'?.

regards
            John

Comment

Hi,

Actinic should not mind if you are uploading your site to a domain, if you are moving to a new domain and the DNS is set then you should not have a problem as long as the Network Settings test fine.

Originally posted by john goodstar
              I am now wondering wether Actinic restrict this somehow (ie does not allow two sites to exist).
              John
              If that is not what you meant by the above then please let me know in more detail.

When a site is in Test Mode it allows you to upload and try things on a test space that Actinic creates within your acatalog folder, if you look at the acatalog URL after switching to test mode you will see http://yourdomain.com/acatalog/Test/acatalog/ . Production Mode is when you are on the live site.

Kind regards,
              Bruce King
              SellerDeck

Comment

Working...
              X